cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Flow Not Triggering on Received E-mail

Hello --

Our organization uses Flow for some kind of hacky automation in our project management software. Users receive standardized notifications from the software that a task is ready for them, and we do the following:

1. Outlook scans e-mails for the standardized text string and if it's a match, Outlook moves the e-mail to a specific folder.

2. We have a Flow set up that triggers when an e-mail is added to the specific folder.

3. When the Flow triggers, it forwards the e-mail to the project management software with modifiers that change the task to a certain status.

What we're seeing is that the Flow does not reliably trigger, even when the trigger condition (e-mail in Outlook folder) is met. A user showed me five e-mails in her specific Outlook folder from the last 24 hours, but the Flow only triggered two out of the five times.

Is this a bug, or am I overlooking something really basic (like we can only trigger so many Flows per hour or something)?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Flow Not Triggering on Received E-mail

Hi @BSteele,

Could you please share a screenshot of the configuration of your flow?

The trigger "when a new email arrives" would only be triggered when a new email first arrives in a specail folder in outlook, and the trigger "when a new email arrives" wouldn't be triggered when a email is moved from a folder to the specail folder in outlook.

If the issue that you mentioned that the trigger not run when a email is moved from a folder to the specail folder in outlook,I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

If the issue that you mentioned that the trigger not run when a new email first arrives in a specail folder in outlook, my flow with trigger "when a new email arrives" always works fine and don;t have the issue that you mentioned, please make sure the email would arrive in the specail folder and make a test on your side to send an email to see if the issue still exists.

Best regards,

Alice

Highlighted

Re: Flow Not Triggering on Received E-mail

Hi Alice --

Here's what we have set up in Outlook:

Capture1.PNG

And here's the Flow:

Capture2.PNG

Based on what you're saying, this should never work. But it does -- it actually works most of the time. Our problem is that it isn't working reliably -- this week, one user only had it work two times out of five. That's what I'm trying to figure out -- why it works sometimes and not others.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

Join the new Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (8,638)