Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Flow not Triggering (Sharepoint Modified)

I have a flow that is connected to a large, heavily used Sharepoint O365 List. Up until late last week (I believe it was 5/25/17 around 2:30pm-ish), it worked like a dream. 100% success. 


The flow is designed to pick up modified items, do a check against a "Status" field, and based on that, either send an email or skip. Due to the fact that I'm statusing, and on each status change I save the item, it kicks off multiple flows per item. I have 3 statuses, New, In Progress, and Completed. When it gets moved to Completed, it sends the emails.


Like I said, up until last Thursday, it worked like a dream. It would trigger on both in progress and completed, and run the whole flow on completed. A+. Well, silly ol' me introduced a second, smaller workflow on the same list to test something, as opposed to messing with my perfect child. Thats when the problems started. 


I noticed my new flow only triggered about 2/3rds of the time. It would detect the "In Progress" save, but then never detect the "Completed" save. It wasnt erroring out, flows just was NOT triggering. Unfortunately, the trend has spread to my heavily used email workflow. 


To get a sample size, I scrolled through my email to see what my sent box looked like. In 2 days and a few hours this morning, there have been a total of 337 items "Completed". Of those 337, ONLY 215 have triggered on the modify containing the "Completed". Thats a 64% success rate folks. Thats TERRIBLE


Here is what I have done to troubleshoot so far:

  1. Deleted the second, smaller flow
  2. Turned off, and then turned back on the flow in question
  3. Reset the "Connection" user, just incase something funky was going on there. 


No, the list name hasnt changed. Nothing significant has changed to the list. I havent modified the flow (outside of the connection user stuff). It simply went from perfect to garbage. Has anyone else experianced this, or can a mod/admin tell me a solution? I've done everything I can think of short of deleting the flow and starting from scratch, but I dont want to go through all that trouble and it still not work. It took forever to write, because I have several versions of HTML emails going on...


119 REPLIES 119

Hi @v-yamao-msft,


I created a seperate thread for this as I determined what the problem was.  It was due to the number of columns in my SharePoint list as I was getting an error on some of my runs that stated "The query cannot be completed because the number of lookup columns it contains exceeds the lookup column threshold enforced by the administrator.".  The number of columns in this list has more or less been the same since I instantiated these flows, so there was a change on the Flow team's side that changed the maximum amount of SharePoint list colums (drasticly reducing the maximum) that can be returned.  After I deleted dozens of columns I am working again, however my questions in the seperate thread I started remain.


  • What is the maximum limit of columns that can be returned?
  • How can you all make sure that customers are made aware of such changes in advance?
  • Additionally I would like to know if the on create and on update triggers will have the ability to restrain the number of columns via the OData select statement?  It seems this should exist if limits are going to be imposed.



I have the same problem.  Workflows don't consistently fire upon modification 😞

Works 100% on new item (which doesnt' help)

Regular Visitor

I don't believe this issue has been completely fixed, my Flow still doesn't recognize changes that have been made to the item sometimes.

It hasn't. I just demonstrated the entire process with a microsoft service technician on the phone. He saw the whole thing first hand and he stated he took screenshots of the whole process. In my case, after you make a change to a Flow then execute the attached Microsoft Form it will NOT trigger the Flow to kick off. This has been very consistent.  The Form saves the information correctly though. Somewhere in between the two services is a breakdown. 

Likewise experiencing this issue, sometimes it takes multiple edits to succesfuly trigger the action.

I can confirm this is still an issue. When SharePoint items are modified, Flow is not always triggered.

Not applicable

It seems like it's becoming increasingly more of an issue... When they firs said it was resolved, it was operating at a 100% for me. Now, we are starting to see hiccups. 

Agreed, it the reliability of the service is not there, it's a major problem.  Interstingly I do not see this issue on Azure Logic Apps as muhc as I do on Flow.

I've discussed with several technicians over the last 3 weeks.  I don't know how seriously they are taking it. Flow isn't one of the technologies listed on their service health dashbaord.

Helper I
Helper I

very disappointed seeing this happens, I was so ready to move to Flow before, now, I am forced to stay with SharePoint designer workflow because of this 

Helpful resources

2022 Release Wave 1 760x460.png

2022 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2022 through September 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,924)