cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Flow not Triggering (Sharepoint Modified)

I have a flow that is connected to a large, heavily used Sharepoint O365 List. Up until late last week (I believe it was 5/25/17 around 2:30pm-ish), it worked like a dream. 100% success. 

 

The flow is designed to pick up modified items, do a check against a "Status" field, and based on that, either send an email or skip. Due to the fact that I'm statusing, and on each status change I save the item, it kicks off multiple flows per item. I have 3 statuses, New, In Progress, and Completed. When it gets moved to Completed, it sends the emails.

 

Like I said, up until last Thursday, it worked like a dream. It would trigger on both in progress and completed, and run the whole flow on completed. A+. Well, silly ol' me introduced a second, smaller workflow on the same list to test something, as opposed to messing with my perfect child. Thats when the problems started. 

 

I noticed my new flow only triggered about 2/3rds of the time. It would detect the "In Progress" save, but then never detect the "Completed" save. It wasnt erroring out, flows just was NOT triggering. Unfortunately, the trend has spread to my heavily used email workflow. 

 

To get a sample size, I scrolled through my email to see what my sent box looked like. In 2 days and a few hours this morning, there have been a total of 337 items "Completed". Of those 337, ONLY 215 have triggered on the modify containing the "Completed". Thats a 64% success rate folks. Thats TERRIBLE

 

Here is what I have done to troubleshoot so far:

  1. Deleted the second, smaller flow
  2. Turned off, and then turned back on the flow in question
  3. Reset the "Connection" user, just incase something funky was going on there. 

 

No, the list name hasnt changed. Nothing significant has changed to the list. I havent modified the flow (outside of the connection user stuff). It simply went from perfect to garbage. Has anyone else experianced this, or can a mod/admin tell me a solution? I've done everything I can think of short of deleting the flow and starting from scratch, but I dont want to go through all that trouble and it still not work. It took forever to write, because I have several versions of HTML emails going on...

 

119 REPLIES 119
Highlighted

Thanks,

 

Of the three, it looks like #3 was not working (it never did - we don't support it) - Was there case where #1 and #2 where not triggering a flow ?

Highlighted

"The issue is simple.  I constantly modified a SP list item, workflow doesn't fire upon modification as designed.  This happened in July/Aug timeframe on many list items.  The trigger not happening consistently is sadly a massive show stopper for Flow." @VFXPro @RajRa

 

This is the exact problem and probably the best explanation of it.  Even on the simplist of SharePoint lists, if a list item is modified the Flow trigger doesn't always recognize that it was modified.

Highlighted

Can you share the flow ID as well as the sharepoint site address with me. You can send me a private IM .

 

thanks

 

Highlighted

@RajRa

 

I know it currently isn't supported and I'm not really sure if this is the best place to suggest product improvements, but I feel that valuable Flow-SharePoint trigger that could potentially help solve some of these Item List Modification missfires is an If Conditional Trigger that looks for a certain value in a column and executes the Flow after this has happened.  Essentially skip the "When SharePoint List Item is Modified Trigger" and replace it with "When SharePoint List Item Column Equals _______".  Selections needed for this trigger might include: SharePoint List URL, Column Name, and the contents of the blank (number, word, or person) that will satisfy the statement and cause the Trigger to execute and start the Flow.

 

Could functionality like this be available soon?

Highlighted

@RajRa, you misunderstand.  #3 Was the Schedule - Recurrance trigger and it was never broken.  #2 was the one that was broken until the lookup columns were removed.

Highlighted

Sadly, I don't have the site/list anymore since it was working 100% of the time. 😞

 

Issue Details

I had a FLOW designed to fire when a Yes/No column was modified using the Quick View  (ie in batch).  That might explain the uniqueness of them problem.

 

The SP item wasn't modified using the edit form.

Highlighted

..sorry, meant to say "NOT working 100%" of the time.

Highlighted

There's an option in the My Flows page, under the 3 dots menu, to Export as a Logic Apps template. I haven't tried it but it might do what you need

Highlighted
New Member

I'm getting the same issue now as well. It's a -very- simple list - 6 columns, and only 2 list items. Flow's are mostly not starting (maybe 1 in 5 or so). I'll try later to export it as a Logic App

Highlighted

It still doesn't appear to be 100% ok, but I've switched to Classic Experience for the SPO site and it's MUCH better - hope that helps someone while this gets fixed properly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (9,657)