Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Flow says it ran, but the action didn't happen

I have a Flow set up on a SharePoint library. When a file is added, copy the file name into the Title field. Generally it works, but I have been having problems lately.


I found at least one case where the flow says it ran successfully, but there's no sign that it actually did anything. I have versioning enabled on my document library, and when I look at the version history there's no entry for the Title update.

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,


What you mean is that although the Flow display is executed successfully, the title not updated?

Could you share screenshots of Flow configuration?

In general, SharePoint Library does not require a Title field. Name field automatically stores the file name.

In fact, I didn't find Title field in the view of SharePoint Library. The Title in Update file properties action is also not a required field, so you could ignore it.


Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Not applicable

Thanks for responding, @v-bacao-msft .  Here's a screenshot.

There needs to be a Title field because I'm using a Lookup from a List to point to these files. Lookup fields in Lists cannot refer to the Name field, but that's what I want to show. Name also can't be used in a calculated field, so I needed a manual way to copy the Name to another field to use as the Lookup value.


This is inconsistent, and usually works. The problem is when it doesn't, then the document doesn't show up in the Lookup options since the lookup field is blank.


Flow Screenshot.png

Hi @Anonymous ,


Thank you for your reply, I understand your needs this time.

You want to use Title field as a reference field for the lookup column in other lists, because Name field is not selectable.


I did a test on my side, created the same Flow, and updated Title field with Name field value, it works fine.

And in the list I can use Title field value as the lookup column value.


Image reference:


You could check if the Title field has been updated after the Flow is executed.


Alternatively, please consider creating new field and then use this field to store the value of Name field. Since this method works for me, you can try other fields.


Hope it helps.


Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group


Experience what’s next for Power Virtual Agents

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (67,644)