cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dan-b
Level: Powered On

Flow says it ran, but the action didn't happen

I have a Flow set up on a SharePoint library. When a file is added, copy the file name into the Title field. Generally it works, but I have been having problems lately.

I found at least one case where the flow says it ran successfully, but there's no sign that it actually did anything. I have versioning enabled on my document library, and when I look at the version history there's no entry for the Title update.

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Flow says it ran, but the action didn't happen

Hi @dan-b ,

What you mean is that although the Flow display is executed successfully, the title not updated?

Could you share screenshots of Flow configuration?

In general, SharePoint Library does not require a Title field. Name field automatically stores the file name.

In fact, I didn't find Title field in the view of SharePoint Library. The Title in Update file properties action is also not a required field, so you could ignore it.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
dan-b
Level: Powered On

Thanks for responding, @v-bacao-msft .  Here's a screenshot.

There needs to be a Title field because I'm using a Lookup from a List to point to these files. Lookup fields in Lists cannot refer to the Name field, but that's what I want to show. Name also can't be used in a calculated field, so I needed a manual way to copy the Name to another field to use as the Lookup value.

This is inconsistent, and usually works. The problem is when it doesn't, then the document doesn't show up in the Lookup options since the lookup field is blank.

Flow Screenshot.png

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @dan-b ,

Thank you for your reply, I understand your needs this time.

You want to use Title field as a reference field for the lookup column in other lists, because Name field is not selectable.

I did a test on my side, created the same Flow, and updated Title field with Name field value, it works fine.

And in the list I can use Title field value as the lookup column value.

Image reference:

82.PNG83.PNG

You could check if the Title field has been updated after the Flow is executed.

Alternatively, please consider creating new field and then use this field to store the value of Name field. Since this method works for me, you can try other fields.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 169 members 5,605 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: