cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Flow with a trigger "when an item is created or modified " from share point list. "Limit Columns by View" dosen't work.

I create Flow with a trigger "when an item is created or modified " from share point list.

I input "Limit Columns by View". But the trigger also works when a column other than set columns is modified. 

I consider this is Bug. Please correct it or teach me solution.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Flow with a trigger "when an item is created or modified " from share point list. "Limit Columns by View" dosen't work.

Hi @hiroki,

Has your problem been solved?
If your problem has been solved, You could go ahead and mark the post as solved by clicking “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify!

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Flow with a trigger "when an item is created or modified " from share point list. "Limit Columns by View" dosen't work.

Hi @hiroki,

You can use the "Select action" instead of "Limit Columns by View" to achieve your purpose.
Capture4.PNG

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hi @Lin,

Thank you for your reply.

I can't understand how to use the "Select action" instead of "Limit Columns by View".

My purpose is the trigger works only when limited column is modified.

I may achieve my purpose, if I could know which column is modified. 

I'm looking forward to your reply. Thank you.

Hiroki,

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hiroki,

Sorry for misunderstood your issue.

The Limit Columns by View is a feature that limits the output of the item, it is not the feature that limits trigger works only when the limited column is modified. And the trigger is monitoring all columns of the SharePoint, it could not be only triggered when some special columns are modified.

Annotation 2019-09-10 170659.png

However, there is a complex way to get the previous version of the modified item.

Currently, there is no action can get the previous version of the item before modified.  So we need to use the Send an Http request to SharePoint. The following are the steps that get previous version of item which has not been modified. Then parse it, and comparing it with the modified version. It can know which column is modified and the special columns whether they are modified. Annotation 2019-09-10 175002.pngAnnotation 2019-09-10 175048.png

Cause this method is complex, if you are interested in it, I will reply to you with more details about it. You can refer to this post firstly:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Flow-Discussion/How-to-get-previous-versions-of-a-list-i...

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@v-litu-msft 

I'm interested in the complex way to know which column is modified.

Plase give me more detail information.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hiroki,

I found this method has been published as a Blog by @He USES the same method as mine, and it is more detailed.

Microsoft-Flow-Community-Blog: Check-for-a-Change-in-a-SharePoint-List-Column-Value

You can refer to his Blog, if you have any question during structure, please contact us.

Best Regards,

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hiroki,

Has your problem been solved?
If your problem has been solved, You could go ahead and mark the post as solved by clicking “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify!

Best Regards,

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

@v-litu-msft  I do think it is a bug in MS Flow like @hiroki mentioned. What is the purpose of having option "Limit Columns by View" in trigger "When an item is created or modified" if not for actual limit of this trigger? If it is just for limiting the possible column suggestion of trigger, then it is utterly useless and confusing. This must be reported to Microsoft as bug! It is one of many poor implementation in MS Flow which I came across, which makes you think: who the hell is designing such crap???!!!

The whole purpose of this MS Flow is to allow users to perform actions in easy, graphicall manner, without having to write (complex) code. Above issue fails to meet this requirement. Complex solution proposed by @v-litu-msft is clear example of this failure. This question should not be marked as answered but reported as bug.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (5,923)