cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tanner
Level 8

Flows are failing silently due to "BadRequest"

Today I have noticed an approval Flow has started failing silently. What is happening is that the Flow is getting to a point in the chain and then failing, and then "retrying" once. I don't get any notification when this happens nor does the Flow tell me whether the retry attempt was successful or not in the Manage Flows page or the Currently Running Flows drilldown view of the actively running Flow.

I have seen this fail 3 times with 3 different error messages. The most recent one is:

Duration: 0s
Start time: 2018-06-11T20:55:43.5832666Z
End time: 2018-06-11T20:55:43.5832666Z
Client request ID: a2d295dd-4442-447f-a435-d834d447b113
Error: {
  "error": {
    "code": "BadRequest",
    "message": "Http request failed with status code 'KeepAliveFailure' and status message: 'The underlying connection was closed: A connection that was expected to be kept alive was closed by the server.'."
  }
}

But I have also seen:

"message": "Http request failed with status code 'ConnectFailure' and status message: 'Unable to connect to the remote server'."
  }
}

As well as:

"message": "Http request failed: the timeout was reached."
  }
}

Flow needs to warn at least the Flow creator and preferably any assigned approvers at this step whenever this happens. It should also indicate (or indicate more clearly) whether the retry was successful. It would also be useful to be able to tell it to retry more than once...

Is this some transient bug on Microsoft's side with their servers, or is there some bug that has been hiding in my previously-working Flow that decided to rear its head because today is Monday? The latest error message (the first one listed above) was on an e-mail step, so I have not received the final approval email step nor is there an approval item in my "My Approvals" section of flow.microsoft.com, so the Flow is stuck silently in the 'running' state and will remain there for 30 days until it expires. This is not really acceptable under my company's SLA.

8 REPLIES 8
vinneyk
Level: Powered On

Re: Flows are failing silently due to "BadRequest"

@Tanner, did you ever come to a conclusion on this issue? I'm experiencing the same issue. I suspect it's a throttleing issue. We do have Office 365 but we just noticed that everying in the company is using Flow as a trial user. Our 365 admin just assigned licenses but we're still seeing this behavor. Hopefully we're just waiting for the license to propagate...

Creative_Sense

I am also receiving this error in the last hour or so 

vinneyk

@Creative_Senseare your Flows connecting to SharePoint by chance?

Creative_Sense

@vinneyk yes they connect to sharepoint custom lists

vinneyk

I've tested a couple different HTTP Flow actions. I can go straight out with the HTTP connector with no problem. But connecting to another service, such as SharePoint or Facebook fail at least once with the above mentioned errors. Hopfully the Microsoft Team is working on a solution...

Tanner
Level 8

I haven't received any notice from Microsoft yet - I let the offending Flow continue in the "running" stage over night and no further attempts to proceed were made, so it looks like it retries the action 1 time *only* when it encounters this error and then you are essentially out of luck.

I am going to resubmit the Flow and see if it works today... we are using a SharePoint connector and are not in a paid version of Flow but we are not using Flow at our organization enough to get anywhere near the throttling limit for the free Tier. Even if it works today, it's no guarantee that this error won't pop up again, so I'd still be hesitant to put something into production that has the tendency to break silently like this until we hear from Microsoft.

Each time you think you have finally ironed out all of Flow's kinks... a new one pops up. I'd really like to start putting some Flows into production some day...

vinneyk

Thanks for the update, @Tanner. This issue has been corrected in our experience. Not sure if this is due to the application and eventual propagation of our licenses across Microsoft's services or something else. We were hitting the service hard enough to trigger the throttling, however, the lapse between applying licenses to our users and seeing the service stabilize was about 2 hours.

As for use in production, I too am under the same impression: little production use ABSOLUTELY NOTHING mission critical.

Highlighted
Tanner
Level 8

Today I was able to resubmit the Flow and test all the different possible branches without issue... perhaps it was a transient issue on Microsoft's end.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 419 members 6,519 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: