cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgallagher
Level: Powered On

For Selected Item - Sharepoint trigger: Flow appearing in other lists.

I have been building a workflow for a more complex approval system in a document library.  I recently added a new custom list to the site, and now the Flow I built is also appearing in the custom list "Flow" options when I select an item.  This is definitely NOT expected.  The flow fails immediately because the "Get Item" action the immediately follows the trigger in the base template fails to find the ID in my document library.  

I imagine though, that there could be a situation where the ID number is found and a workflow is started on an item arbitrarily because of a matching ID number in an unrelated list!!!

This is a pretty huge problem that I only recently discovered while finishing up this workflow, so if anyone has any experience or advice on this please assist.  I dont have time to test reproducability at the moment, but if more information is required to attempt reproduction feel free to ask more about my circumstances.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mgallagher

Re: For Selected Item - Sharepoint trigger: Flow appearing in other lists.

At this time, it appears to have self resolved.  I do not know exactly when the problem went away, but I have power-cycled, and moved networks on my computer several times since the issue appeared.  I also never got the chance to see if it was present on other machines.  So perhaps this was some client side bug, related to cache or something of the like.  

The both flows (there were 2 that were displaying incorrectly on the wrong list) were created from within sharepoint, with the create a flow button.  One flow includes a security group under the run-as permission set.  The other is only owned by me right now. The flows were definitely not made for any other matching list this I am certain of.  I am not sure what you mean by configuration.  Do you mean a screen shot of the entire flow?  It is quite involved; both in nesting and length but both are started with "On Selected Item".

Seeing as the issue is resolved there is not much more to do here, I dont have much more data that would be relevant (especially if it was localised to my machine/session).  Thank you for your time.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @mgallagher,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration?

How do you create your flow?

I have made a test on my side and don't have the issue that you mentioned. I created my flow with "Flow options -> Create a flow" option of my SharePoint library.

More details about creating flow with "Flow options-> Create a flow" option of SharePoint library, please check the following article:

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-flow-launch-panel-in-sharepoint-lists-and-librarie...

Please check if you have created the flow for some SharePoint list before which has same List Name with your new custom list.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
mgallagher

At this time, it appears to have self resolved.  I do not know exactly when the problem went away, but I have power-cycled, and moved networks on my computer several times since the issue appeared.  I also never got the chance to see if it was present on other machines.  So perhaps this was some client side bug, related to cache or something of the like.  

The both flows (there were 2 that were displaying incorrectly on the wrong list) were created from within sharepoint, with the create a flow button.  One flow includes a security group under the run-as permission set.  The other is only owned by me right now. The flows were definitely not made for any other matching list this I am certain of.  I am not sure what you mean by configuration.  Do you mean a screen shot of the entire flow?  It is quite involved; both in nesting and length but both are started with "On Selected Item".

Seeing as the issue is resolved there is not much more to do here, I dont have much more data that would be relevant (especially if it was localised to my machine/session).  Thank you for your time.

View solution in original post

CoupalM

Have the same issue. I'll hope it will resolve by itself...

Highlighted
Victoria
Level 8

I have this issue. I have a button activated flow which copies a document and it's metadata to another site/library on demand. I set up a series of individual flows to move documents from different team sites/libraries to a comms site. I did this using the 'Post a message to MS Teams for a selected file' Flow template (which I customised) from each library concerned. It all worked fine. Now a month later I have gone in and when I trigger any flow, from any library, in any site, they are all connecting to ths same flow. This was not how I left it. When I look at the list details in the flows, they are all different yet my libraries are all connecting to the incorrect flow?

Even libraries where I've not yet created a flow but have created the button are linking to this flow even though there is no flow in place!
Something is wrong in the connections??

Zooney1

Same issue. Repro Steps:

1. Create a "For a Selected item" Flow named FlowXYZ and choose List A as the list for the Flow to run on.
  2. Go to List A, select item, select FlowXYZ and run the Flow
  3. Go to List B, select an item, click ellipsis, choose Flow,  Flow XYZ appears. - not expected

Expected Outcome: Flow should only be available for the list selected in the action: "For a Selected Item" 

Actual Outcome: Flow is available for all lists in the site. 

Why is the Flow appearing on all lists instead of only the list selected in the "For a Selected item" step.

FYI - the "For a Selected item" trigger is not in the documentation for connections: SharePoint, could we please get that added as I'd like to understand the Split-on option.

Zooney1

I created another Flow, this time from List A using "Create a Flow" instead of going to Flow and creating it from there. When I created a Flow using "Create a Flow" from the list, when I Peek at the Code, I see starting on line 16...

"properties": {
                                    "ID": {
                                        "type": "integer"
                                    }
                                }
                            }
                        },
                        "required": []
STARTING AT LINE 28

"host": {
            "connection": {
                "name": "@parameters('$connections')['shared_sharepointonline']['connectionId']"
            },
            "api": {
                "runtimeUrl": "https://msmanaged-na.azure-apim.net/apim/sharepointonline"
            }
        },

When I peek at the code in the Flow I created from Flow and Peek at the Code, I see starting on line 16...

"properties": {
                                    "ID": {
                                        "type": "integer",
                                        "format": "int64"
                                    },
                                    "value": {
                                        "type": "array"
                                    }
                                }
                            }
                        },
                        "required": []

STARTING AT LINE 32
"host": {
            "connection": {
                "name": "@parameters('$connections')['shared_sharepointonline']['connectionId']"
            }
        },

Note the addition of the "value": {  "type": "array" } and, probably more importantly to an api. 

Why would creating a Flow from the list set the code one way and creating from Flow directly be different when it's using the exact same Trigger? If it was a custom action, I could see that. But the same trigger behaving different based on where the Flow is created makes the experience of creating complex Flows a bit weird when the results are not predictable.

This is especially problematic since you would not want a Flow created specifically for one list to be able to be run from any/all of the other lists on a site. This cannot be intentional. Could we get this looked into and fixed please?  

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,334)