cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThomasS
Level: Powered On

Get User Profile (V2) Access Denied

I have about a dozen Flows for submitting vacation requests and support tickets, among other things, that all rely on service accounts with a Flow Free license and the Office 365 Users connection. Most of these flows utilize the "Get User Profile (V2)" to log the users info. At around 12PM PST on December 3rd, with no changes that we are aware of to these accounts, any and all Office 365 Users actions failed with the error "Access denied. You do not have permissions to perform this action or access this resource."

Here is what I have tried:

• Assigned an Enterprise E1, E3 and Business Premium license
  • Assigned the PowerApps and Logic Flows license
  • Assigned the Flow Free license
  • Recreated the Office 365 Users connection
  • Added Domain Admin rights to the account

None of those troubleshooting steps have worked. These flows are running on both a "NOREPLY" and "IT Kiosk" service account, but when I use my own business account as the Office 365 Users connection, it works without an error. As I said before, this issue only began two days ago, and the flows have been running fine for over 6 months. I created a ticket with Microsoft support, but I was tossed around 5 times until I eventually got transferred to the correct department. Unfortunately I have not gotten a call back since yesterday. With these flows being critical to our every day business, I'm hoping someone can help me out here. 

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ThomasS

Re: Get User Profile (V2) Access Denied

I fixed the issue...and it had everything to do with my SharePoint site collection. 

When I recreated our main site collection (ourdomain.sharepoint.com), it reset all of the permission so that only I (the administrator) had any access. This was more than likely something I should have known to do, but I didn't.I granted the "Everyone but external users" group Read access and tried my flow again and it worked. Flow absolutely relies on your main SharePoiont site collection permissions for users. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Dusted

I've encountered the same issues on my tenant - Flows using the Office 365 connector (Get My Profile / Get User Profile) will work with a Global Admin but wont work with any other account.  I get exactly the same error message.

"Access denied. You do not have permissions to perform this action or access this resource."

I've logged the issue but no reply as yet.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @ThomasS,

I have made a test on my side and the issue couldn't be produced on my side.

I will report this issue to my product team, if the issue is solved, I will reply here.

Best regards,

Alice

ThomasS

I think I may have found a reason for this issue, but I will need some assistance figuring out if I'm right or not. 

Here is the back story: our previous IT manager created a SharePoint site collection at ourdomain.sharepoint.com to play with. He left, and I began working on our intranet using my own site collection at ourdomain.sharepoint.com/sites/mysite. I didn't like the length of my new site collection url, so I removed it and decided I would recreate the original collection at ourdomain.sharepoint.com. When I tried to delete ourdomain.sharepoint.com, it told me I would need to recreate the site collection for anyone to use SharePoint including its associated services. I deleted it and recreated it on the same day this issue began.

I read elsewhere that SharePoint permissions are often the cause of these Access Denied error messages. My assumption is that I deleted some permission levels that were in place on the old site collection that might have caused these accounts to lose their ability to function with the Office 365 Users connection. Does anyone else know if this is the case? Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

ThomasS

I fixed the issue...and it had everything to do with my SharePoint site collection. 

When I recreated our main site collection (ourdomain.sharepoint.com), it reset all of the permission so that only I (the administrator) had any access. This was more than likely something I should have known to do, but I didn't.I granted the "Everyone but external users" group Read access and tried my flow again and it worked. Flow absolutely relies on your main SharePoiont site collection permissions for users. 

View solution in original post

Dusted

I've just done the same for my Default Site Collection and yes thats resolved the issue however I'd still like a bit of background from a Microsoftie as to why this is the case.  

KrzysiekS
Level: Power Up

How can I do that? I don't know where can I change that permission in SharePoint online? I am facing same exact issue, someone probably changed something on the default site collection

BambaSeye

Hello
I had the same problem. It was necessary to add the account used by the connection in the root collection as a visitor, and it works.
When I remove it, the issue comes back.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

firstImage

Better Together Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Users online (9,951)