cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slyuso
Level: Powered On

Issues with scheduling action

Hi
My task is to have a Flow that runs on the first of a month.
I'm using a Recurrence trigger.

I developed the workflow and tested with the Frequency is equal 10 minutes.
Everything works as expected, every 10 minutes.

Then, I changed Frequency to 1 month and start time in 30 minues from the time I saved the workflow.
I made sure that I'm using UTC start time and entered start time to be in 30 minutes.

The workflow has not started.

Questons:
1. What does the Start time mean? 
Possible answers:
- when the workflow is enabled
- when Flow first starts
- does format of start time matter (for example, time Zone field) ?
2. If Start time is when the Flow is enabled when (which day of the month) will it start? 
3. How do previous runs (manual or scheduled) affect schedule?
For example, when I ran the Flow manually and this Flow is scheduled to run once in a month, will previous runs count as already happened this month ?
if so, looks like this could be the reason why my Flow does not start as scheduled
4. I also see some unexpeced runs that were not manual and looked as scheduled.
However, they did not happen on on scheduled time (yes, I double checked start time and time zone).
For some reason they start at the last second before a full hour.
If you need any information I can provide it.

Here are screenshots.
Test worflow: 
FlowDefinition.PNG

Run output:

Schedule.PNG
Compare all 3 highligted areas with the schedule.
They all show different time.
What is the time in the top left corner ?
FYI, I run the Flow being in PST time zone.

Also, utcNow() shows a fraction of a second before a full minute.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Issues with scheduling action

Hi @slyuso,

For your first question, the "Start time" of "Recurrence" trigger indicates that when the flow first starts (Except the default run). The Recurrence trigger would be fired once automatically when you saved your flow, no matter which time filled within Start time field of the trigger.

For your second question, the Start time field of Recurrence trigger indicates when the flow first starts (Except the default run which mentioned as above). If the current time (2018-03-08T16:00:00Z) is later than the specific time (2018-03-01T16:30:00Z)within Start time field of Recurrence trigger, the Recurrence trigger would not be fired, the trigger would only be fired in next month (In Schedule).

For your third question, the previous runs would not affect the schedule that you specified within the trigger.

For your forth question, if you add the Recurrence trigger as the trigger of your flow, when you save your flow, the Recurrence trigger would be fired once automatically in default.

According to the second screenshot that you provided, the time in top left corner indicates when the flow runs. The time in 3 highlighted area are different with the schedule, I think this issue is related to the Time zone. When working times in Microsoft Flow, the times would be converted into UTC format automatically.

If you want to convert the time in your flow to your local time, please check and see if the following article would help in your scenario:

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/working-with-dates-and-times/

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @slyuso,

For your first question, the "Start time" of "Recurrence" trigger indicates that when the flow first starts (Except the default run). The Recurrence trigger would be fired once automatically when you saved your flow, no matter which time filled within Start time field of the trigger.

For your second question, the Start time field of Recurrence trigger indicates when the flow first starts (Except the default run which mentioned as above). If the current time (2018-03-08T16:00:00Z) is later than the specific time (2018-03-01T16:30:00Z)within Start time field of Recurrence trigger, the Recurrence trigger would not be fired, the trigger would only be fired in next month (In Schedule).

For your third question, the previous runs would not affect the schedule that you specified within the trigger.

For your forth question, if you add the Recurrence trigger as the trigger of your flow, when you save your flow, the Recurrence trigger would be fired once automatically in default.

According to the second screenshot that you provided, the time in top left corner indicates when the flow runs. The time in 3 highlighted area are different with the schedule, I think this issue is related to the Time zone. When working times in Microsoft Flow, the times would be converted into UTC format automatically.

If you want to convert the time in your flow to your local time, please check and see if the following article would help in your scenario:

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/working-with-dates-and-times/

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
slyuso

Thank you, Kris

This expains many things.
It would be nice to provide a more user-friendly way of entering Start time. 
The secntion about working with date/time was very useful.

Hi,

Is start time mandatory to put ? what if we put a interval of 2 and frequency of days without filling the start time, when would the trigger happen first and after that. Please help.

Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (3,630)