cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Geezer
Helper I
Helper I

LoopIndex problem

It appears that tampering with a LoopIndex variable inside the Loop loses its scope when the loop iterates.  Is there a workaround for this?

I have a loop that increments by 2, which is used as an index to read from a List.  However, the data populating that list sometimes starts at List[2] and sometimes at List[3].  Each datum contains a data type on one line, followed by a data value on the next. In a Switch statement, the Default case, seeing no valid data type Case was found, decreases the Index by one and the Loop continues, this time in sync with the data.

However, upon hitting the Loop statement, the Index is incremented (by 2) from it's original value, and the (successful) Index decrement is tossed  out the window.

If this is an error in my PAD Flow, can someone please explain.

EDIT: I did find a workaround by modifying my process. But this issue still bothers me for future coding efforts.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I have edited the flow to use a workaround at this point, so I no longer have info to show.  Basically, though, it looked something like this:

Loop (i=2 to 8; increment by 2) {

IF (condition is met) {  // data list has an extra line

decrement i by 1;

}

switch (i) {

. . . 

}

END Loop

During a single iteration of the loop, if the index was decremented, it remained that value for the duration of that cycle.  However, once the loop iterated back to the top, the decremented value of the index was discarded and the loop continued as if the decrement never occurred.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-bofeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Geezer :

Could you please show me your flow and the expression?

Best Regards,

Bof

I have edited the flow to use a workaround at this point, so I no longer have info to show.  Basically, though, it looked something like this:

Loop (i=2 to 8; increment by 2) {

IF (condition is met) {  // data list has an extra line

decrement i by 1;

}

switch (i) {

. . . 

}

END Loop

During a single iteration of the loop, if the index was decremented, it remained that value for the duration of that cycle.  However, once the loop iterated back to the top, the decremented value of the index was discarded and the loop continued as if the decrement never occurred.

View solution in original post

Hi @Geezer :

It seems that it may be possible to define a variable of type number and then use do until action to implement the loop. I noticed that you mentioned that you already have a workaround,do you still need any help now? What can I do for you?

Best Regards,

Bof

Yes, I have a workaround for this time.  I don't personally need anything, I was just reporting the issue and hope the flaw in functionality will be addressed soon. The next time I need a FOR loop, I would like it to work the way it used to.

Hi @Geezer :

Thanks for you feedback.

BTW,If you have any suggestions for Power Automate, you could also consider posting your ideas to this forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Ideas/idb-p/MPAIdeas 

Best Regards,

Bof

Thank you for the help. I am currently going crazy trying to figure out the GUID construct in PA. Separate thread....

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,197)