Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper IV
Helper IV

Multi-value people picker field no longer able to be populated via GUI

Let's say I have a SharePoint source list "SourceList," which has a column called "Members," which is a multi-value person field. Let's say I have another list called "DestinationList" which has a multi-value person field called "Members" as well. Up until a week or two ago, you could easily just populate the field on the destination list with the value from the source list and it would work:




Now, however, it will not work on ANY new workflows. I have older workflows which use the method above and they still work, but any new workflows always give some variation of:


The 'inputs.parameters' of workflow operation 'Create_item' of type 'OpenApiConnection' is not valid. Error details: The API operation does not allow writing a value for parameter 'item/Members[0]/DisplayName'. This parameter is read only. I've tried manually building the array in a variable and get the same message. If I omit DisplayName from the array, the same error appears but stating that Email is read-only.


This functionality worked fine until sometime in the last few weeks.  New workflows always get the error above; as I mentioned above, I have some older workflows which still work and I've been able to template them and even apply them to different lists and they work fine.  

Community Support
Community Support


Hi @blanghorst ,


At present, it seems that I cannot reproduce a similar issue, so there is no way to know the cause of this issue.


Please make sure that these two fields allow multiple selections, and we seem to need to use user email instead of display name to fill the array.


If this method still does not work, please consider getting the values in this field first, and then filling these values into the array variable in the following format.


Finally, the array variable is filled into this field.



Hope this helps.


Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sorry for the late reply.  Let me be clear:


1.  Several reports have been filed, so it isn't just me.   

2.  I've tried it in 2 separate tenants and both errored out.

3.  Please reread my original post of what was working and should work.

4.  I already tried with the array and was getting the same message.


The fields are all set correctly as well.  Older workflows still work fine - MS did something within the last several weeks which is causing the issues.  I don't know if it has been fixed since my original request, as I went ahead and templated an old workflow and was able to use it to work around the issue.

New Member

Having the exact same issue. When I tried to update the people field it's giving me the same error. I also have older workflow that seems to be working just fine

Helpful resources

Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (99,860)