cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Planner Task Complete trigger causes all Flows to finish even though tasks in separate buckets

Planner Tasks has two buckets A & B in one plan.

PlannerBuckets.PNG

I created two separate Planner tasks from SharePoint list Flow 

• Task A gets assigned to Bucket A
  • Task B gets assigned to Bucket B

Each starts a separate Flow

FlowPNG.PNG

When I mark one task as complete in bucket A using Planner,
the Planner Task Complete trigger erroneously completes the flow in bucket B, as well as A.

Worse Task B still remains in Planner.

Both flows complete, whereas I am expecting just the flow from Task A to complete

My analysis is the Planner Trigger fires across the Plan and not at the Bucket level.

The trigger needs to have more granularity. Meaning it needs to listen at the Bucket level.

Either way, if a user completes one of the task in Planner, multiple flows finish from different buckets.  This can't be correct.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Planner Task Complete trigger causes all Flows to finish even though tasks in separate buckets

Hi @Anonymous,

Do you want the whole flow to be completed when a task A is completed in Bucket A and a task B is completed in Bucket B?

I think you have a misunderstand on the usage of the "Switch case" action of Microsoft Flow. The "Switch case" action is a conditional logic based on a single value, which has parallel branches. If the Case value matches the value within Switch box, the flow would go into corresponding Case branch. If the value within Switch box is not found in any cases that you defined, the flow would go into the Default case branch.

In addition, the flow would run only once when an item is created in your SharePoint list. In other words, if you create an item for Task A, the flow would go into Case A branch and wait the task A is completed within Bucket A, the Case B branch would not be executed. If you create another item for Task B in your SharePoint list, it would trigger another flow run, this flow would go into Case B branch and wait Task B is completed within Bucket B, the Case A branch would not be executed.

Please check if there is another flow run which goes into Case B branch is running within your flow RUN HISTORY and waiting the Task B is completed in Bucket B as below:11.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Planner Task Complete trigger causes all Flows to finish even though tasks in separate buckets

Hi Kris,

The switch is a bit of a red herring.  If I use a simple parallel flow that creates two Planner tasks in separate buckets A and B (same Plan), the issue is the same, 

Flow parallel tasks

Marking a Task A completed in Bucket A in Planner causes the Flow trigger to fire off and BOTH branches complete. 

I am expected just the A branch.

Plainly there is an issue with the Trigger for Mark Planner Task Complete

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

I feel your pain also.. 

The action "Planner When a task action is complete" only looks in "PlanId" this is SOOO weird....

I believe in planID there would be so many task..

And this action will try to do on all task in the planID.

They should rename "Planner when a task action is complete" into "Planner when ANY task is complete in plan id"

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

That's not how this feature work..

The Complete trigger is waiting for all TASK waiting in PLAN ID.

This action does not wait for specific task to finish. The input of this action is just "Plan ID" includes all bucket in the task

Highlighted

planner trigger/action doesnt understand the task ID and thats teh reason it is not able to process the pirticular completed task.

Highlighted

Do we have work around for this? 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (6,552)