cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MattC_A
Level: Powered On

Retry settings for Excel operations blocked by 423 file locked don't work

The retry settings for Excel operations like Insert Row look very promising for getting round the issue where the spreadsheet is locked (error 423);

insertrowsettings.png

However, those setting make no difference to the running of the Flow.. it still fails, and doesn't appear to re-attempt the operation with the policy settings I've specified. 

Looks like a bug to me. I've also raised this problem as an Idea in case that's the proper way of raising this kind of issue.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Excel-retry-options-should-work-with-file-locked-erro...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Re: Retry settings for Excel operations blocked by 423 file locked don't work

Hi MattC_A,

I think the issue was not caused by Retry Policy.

When you want to write data in excel file, first you need to create Table in Excel file so you can append table row using flow action.

It needs some time to sync data, during this time, the Excel File is locked. I suggest you wait a moment  to retry it.

In addition, I suggest you to use the Excel online (Business) connector.This is Standard Connector which is recently released by excel team.

2.png

And could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration? Then I can do more analysis for you.

Best Regards,

Zhongys

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Hi MattC_A,

I think the issue was not caused by Retry Policy.

When you want to write data in excel file, first you need to create Table in Excel file so you can append table row using flow action.

It needs some time to sync data, during this time, the Excel File is locked. I suggest you wait a moment  to retry it.

In addition, I suggest you to use the Excel online (Business) connector.This is Standard Connector which is recently released by excel team.

2.png

And could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration? Then I can do more analysis for you.

Best Regards,

Zhongys

View solution in original post

MattC_A

Thank for your response.

The table already exists in the Excel file. I'd created that at the start. Data will get appended to the table correctly until I have it open in another browser tab.. at which point the Flow fails to run. Then the retry mechanism has no effect.

I'd like to insert a screenshot, but for some reason this reply editor isn't letting me upload images Smiley Frustrated

Oh, I wasn't quite logged in enough to add an image.. here you go..

flowdetail.png

I'll try switching the Excel Online Business connector instead. Out of interest, why would that make any difference?

MattC_A

Just following up.. switching the Business connector worked.. which is a bit nuts.. I don't see why there would be a difference, nor why the retry mechanism in the other version doesn't work. Hey ho, at least it's working now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 69 members 3,539 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: