cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Run history - not showing history older than three weeks

Hi,

I have an approval flow connected on SharePoit list. Whenever a request raised in SharePoint list, an approval flow using MS flow starts.

I have a requirement to download run history for all the request. But when I search the run history for a request older than 3 weeks, I'm unable to see this in my flow. also, download csv for all runs only downloading the run history for recent three weeks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Rakhi Jain

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Run history - not showing history older than three weeks

Hi @Anonymous,

I have made a test and the issue is confirmed on my side. I think this issue may be related to the Storage retention policy of Microsoft Flow.

The Max Storage retention of a single flow run is 30 days in Microsoft Flow currently, if the retention time is more than 30 days, the flow run history would be deleted.

More details about the Run duration and retention limit for a single flow fun, please check the following article:

Run duration and retention

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-xida-msft

Thanks for the confirmation.

If this is the case that run history is not available after 30 days then how will we check the run history of a request older than 30 days.

In my case, the request older than 30 days status has not updated correctly and I want to know what has happened with the request during the flow run.

Is there any I can have these details.

Thanks & Regards,

Rakhi Jain

Tanner
Level 8

This doesn't seem like a complete description of what's happening. Flow run history used to be kept for more than 30 days, even though there has *always* been a 30-day hard limit on flow run lifetime. At some point in the last few weeks, Microsoft has made a change to autodelete run history older than 3 weeks (which, by the way, is not 30 days) and never bothered to announce that change to anyone. There have been no announcements on the Flow blog or the Office 365 Admin announcements list in the past three months indicating such a change.

Power Automate Staff TravisB
Power Automate Staff

Hi Rakhi, @Tanner,

In order to remain GDPR compliant we're unable to maintain run logs for greater than 30 days. I think we might cut that a bit shorter to give ourselves some head-room for compliance.

If you have a need to audit flow runs older than 30 days, unfortunately the only option we have available is to pre-emptively download and maintain records of flow runs so that you can refer back to them when needed.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you 😞

Best,

Travis

Tanner
Level 8

Hey @TravisB,

Thanks for the response. There's nothing in the GDPR  language I can find that indicates 28 days is the cutoff after which you must delete data; it only states you must keep it for the shortest period necessary. This seems to conflict with Microsoft's own run-duration range of 30 days... so am I right in understanding that with this change, a flow that kicks of on December 1st and runs through December 30th (a legal, 30 day run) will essentially be totally invisible to us after December 28th?

But more problematic than that is the fact that the expiry of logs after 28 days makes Flow essentially useless for business processes, especially in the United States where GDPR doesn't apply. Is there a way to use Flow without having to deal with Microsoft's interpretation of GDPR restrictions? E.g. not even a BAA?

Power Automate Staff TravisB
Power Automate Staff

Hi @Tanner

Various implementation details make it such that we are unable to maintain these run records past 30 days while maintaining compliance.

Unfortunately there is no GDPR compliance opt-out feature for flow at this time.

Best,

Travis

kmponcet
Level: Powered On

Is this still an issue? It's very concerning since I have a large number of outstanding requests and now the responses can't be recorded as designed. Any approval request over 3 weeks long can still be rejected/approved but the associated workflow is basically cancelled without anyone's knowledge. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 331 members 5,554 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: