cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmarc1221
Level: Powered On

SharePoint - Document Library Approval Flow - Set Content Approval Status Fails

Hello,

I am trying to set up a very basic approval flow on a SharePoint document library. I have followed this walkthrough for guidance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3shHcIgjxH4

A few of the O365 variable names/actions have changed since that video was uploaded. The approval task is created without a problem, but when I go to approve/reject it, I get an error.

I've attached some screenshots of the my flow settings below. It seems like it should be a relatively easy flow to setup, but I cannot get it working for the life of me.

Here is the error I am getting:

{"Etag":"\"{1289207F-0C22-4056-9AD8-D53E174E4FA5},3\"","Message":"The ETag of this item does not match the one used for setting content approval status. The contents of the item may have changed before the action was completed.","Succeeded":false,"ApprovalErrorCode":"etagMismatch","ApprovalLink":"https://sharepoint.com/sites/test/I%20Spy%20Impact%20Template/impact-whitebg_400x400.png?etag=%22%7b..."}

clientRequestId: 26e2f611-96f0-40ea-97bc-d9fae3711c8d

serviceRequestId: 6909c69e-e0dd-8000-e5e9-d15020599740

SS1.pngSS2.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: SharePoint - Document Library Approval Flow - Set Content Approval Status Fails

Hi @jmarc1221 ,

I did a test on my side and created the same Flow, but I didn't see the problem you mentioned.

It seems that your configuration is no problem, it may be that the way of testing is not correct.

I noticed that the number at the end of Etag is 3, which indicates that the content approval status of this item is already Approved or content have changed, so this error occurs when Set content approval status action is executed.

• Please try uploading a new file for testing. Do not click on Using data from previous runs to test Flow.
  • When the file is uploaded, observe whether Approval Status of the file is Pending. Only when it displays Pending, it makes sense to execute Set content approval status action.
  • To see if Flow run history has a successful execution, you can click to view it. I did a test on my side. If it is a newly created or uploaded file, the number at the end of Etag will be displayed as 2.

Please take a try and feel free let me know if issue still exists.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

jmarc1221

Re: SharePoint - Document Library Approval Flow - Set Content Approval Status Fails

I figured it out. I had a SharePoint workflow updating a column immediately after items in the library were created, so I ended up putting a delay in the flow for 1 minute before the Get metadata action. That seemed to fix it. Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @jmarc1221 ,

I did a test on my side and created the same Flow, but I didn't see the problem you mentioned.

It seems that your configuration is no problem, it may be that the way of testing is not correct.

I noticed that the number at the end of Etag is 3, which indicates that the content approval status of this item is already Approved or content have changed, so this error occurs when Set content approval status action is executed.

• Please try uploading a new file for testing. Do not click on Using data from previous runs to test Flow.
  • When the file is uploaded, observe whether Approval Status of the file is Pending. Only when it displays Pending, it makes sense to execute Set content approval status action.
  • To see if Flow run history has a successful execution, you can click to view it. I did a test on my side. If it is a newly created or uploaded file, the number at the end of Etag will be displayed as 2.

Please take a try and feel free let me know if issue still exists.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

jmarc1221

I figured it out. I had a SharePoint workflow updating a column immediately after items in the library were created, so I ended up putting a delay in the flow for 1 minute before the Get metadata action. That seemed to fix it. Thanks

Highlighted
rsrih
Level: Power Up

Can you please share how you added a 1 min delay , would it be possibble to share screen shots or step by step instructions ,  i am facing similiar issue.

Just read the file meta data before your approval step and use the Etag from the meta data in your approval step, that will approve the latest version.

I had the same issue that I created a file, updated it, and then tried to approve it based on the Etag from the Create file step and at that point the Etag is not the correct one anymore due to my update.

Kind regards, John

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Speakers, submit your sessions now! Call for speakers ends Feb. 10!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,358)