Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level: Powered On

SharePoint List Item ID only possible choice for API ID

I have a flow which is designed to use a web api 2.0 entity framework Azure app when a SharePoint list item is updated.  My goal is to pass the SharePoint list data to the Update Item method in the created API.  The API functions as expected, whereby testing the API via the Custom Connector "Test" tab and using the Update Method with values set for the body and ID works as expected without issue. 


The problem arises when we start to layin the flow components for this to take place when a SharePoint list item has been updated.  The process involves a two fold operation, whereby the people picker value entered in the list must be forced to update the email and phone data in the list as well.


In the first attached image, you can see that when I add the Update Item connector method interface, the id is a required field and it is a value that is stored in the database for the item in the database.  It has no relationship to SharePoint whatsoever in that regard.  But, when I try to enter an ID for the required id field, I am only offered to provide the SharePoint list item ID.  The ID for the SharePoint list item is not the same ID that is required to process the item in the database via the API.  In an attempted workaround, I tried to post the item id as necessary via an expression, and also as a created variable in the workflow.  While both are correctly rendered in the Update Item connector after updating the workflow, the value that is passed with these references is null in both cases.  (item()?['PCID'] is the expression attempted and PCID is the variable set to take the ID that is held as a column in each item in the SharePoint list).  Both the *id and PC_Number columns columns in the database are required fields and may be the reason this is occuring through the web API reference.



All other values in the Update Item connector show a full suite of selectable options from the workflow, including the variable created and the SharePoint columns in the list item.



I need to know if there is a way to correct this issue or if this is a legitmate bug that needs to be repaired before I can use this feature for implementing interactions between any API's we create and a SharePoint list.  Look forward to interacting in an attempt to work through this issue.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: SharePoint List Item ID only possible choice for API ID

Hi @Dodge,


Thanks for the feedback.

I suspect this should be related with the field restriction, which should be a default bahavior.


Per testing, it seems the Dynamic content would show the OUtput of the Compose Action as an available value, you may also consider take use of it.




Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources


Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!


Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!


Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.


Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!


Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 341 members 6,614 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: