cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stormea
Level 8

SharePoint Multi-Choice Field causes Update Item Trigger to Fail

I have a SharePoint list that originally has a multi-choice field in it. I can successfully read and parse the array of values selected in the field and use them in other connectors. However there is a bug that happens that when I try to use the update item action, 1) the multi-choice column doesn't show up to update and 2) Will cause the Flow to fail even with not showing up because Flow will try to automatically set any choice dropdown field for whatever reason. The result is that no Update Item action can be used at all on a list with a multi-choice field because you cannot set it explicity and Flow fails to avoid setting it and tries to set it behind the scenes even though it cannot. See the error below, the update item action is trying to set the value with the array value and failing.

Error: InvalidTemplate. Unable to process template language expression in action 'Update Item' inputs at line '1' and column '2368': The Template language expression 'triggerBody()?['multi_choice_field']?['Value']' cannot be evaluated because property 'Value' cannot be selected. Array elements can only be selected using an integer index.

6 REPLIES 6
SPMP
Level: Powered On

Re: SharePoint Multi-Choice Field causes Update Item Trigger to Fail

Known current limitation on create or update sharepoint item -- the following field types are NOT currently supported.

1. Multi-ValuedPerson Fields
  2. Multi-Valued Choice Fields
  3. Multi-Valued Lookup fields

Basically NO multi-valued Sharepoint Fields are supported in Update or Create actions at this time.

And care must be taken in handling Multi-choice fields from a trigger or Sharepoint Get Item(s).  For Example if you have a multi-choice person field and attempt to use that field (the Email field within a person field) in a Send Mail action Flow will immediately put that Send Mail into a Apply to Each loop which I believe will then send out x number of emails based on the number of multiple values -- but I have not tested that.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @stormea,

Thanks for your feedback, the issue is confirmed on my side. I agree with @SPMP's thought almost.

Updating multiple choice field of SharePoint list is not supported in Microsoft Flow currently. If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
stormea
Level 8

I understand that trying it is not "technically" supported (even though I can still iterate over it passed from the initial trigger), but it seems like a bug rather than an enhancement in the fact that not even using the field in the Update Item Action causes it to fail regardless. I'm not entirely sure the backend, but it seems even with the field hidden the action is still trying to set the field to the existing value (in this case an array) which is what is causing the error.

I would think a better way to handle this would be to not show the field in the Update Item Action (like it currently is) and also not try to update it automatically behind the scenes to cause the Flow to fail. This way it avoids trying to do anything to the field and maintains existing functionality.

If this still falls under just supporting multi-choice fields in general then I guess I'll just have to wait. =(

ONYXJas

Is this still an issue?

VedMishra
Level: Power Up

Is this still an issue?

ihateregisterin

In Flow, it does not matter what you are trying to do, but you will always get to the point when all your plans fail because something that is rather basic is "not supported yet". 

Why do we keep throwing time after a product that still can't perform such basic functions???

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,621)