cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

SharePoint connector - Multiple flows launched when update item or update file properties action is used in a flow.

Hi,

As the power automate platform is aimed at citizen developers migrating from SharePoint designer workflows, there is a significant bug with the SharePoint list item created or modified trigger.

To recreate ....

1. Create a SharePoint list with a mixture of text and yes/no fields.
2. Create an automated flow of type "SharePoint list item new or modified" flow
3. Within the new flow, create an action to update a site column(s) e.g. set the title column to a specific value to match a naming convention etc..
3. Add a new item to the SharePoint list.
4. Check the flow has been triggered when the new item was added to the list. The triggered flow shall create a new flow instance for each site column value being updated by the update item action. e.g. Two site columns value updated, two additional flows are triggered.

The way the functionality seems to work just now seems to match the quick edit method when the item is changed e.g. After each value is updated it is saved back to the list, rather than behaving like the edit all function where all the values are updated in one save.

I have seen n many workarounds none of which has been suitable for the Citizen Developer to implement or are reliable. The responses I have found from the MS team doesn't hit the mark either in the user voice.

The SharePoint designer workflow would not trigger additional workflow instances unless it was a specific step in the SPD workflow. I would expect the Flow SharePoint trigger to behave in the same manner i.e. if the item is updated one flow is triggered.

Could this please be addressed as a matter of urgency. A parameter could be added to the SharePoint update list item or file properties actions where a developer can inhibit further flows being created. As per azure logic apps, the value could be checked in the header and additional flows prevented from running.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Through further testing by branching to determine if the item is new or being updated. I can confirm that the issue only happens when the update part of the flow is triggered. When a new item is submitted and you use the update item action only one flow is created. 

When the item is updated, multiple flows are triggered by the update item action.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: When creating a new item in the list, it triggers more instances of the flows created by the flow during previous list item updates.

Adding the new item ID 8, spawns new update flows instances for IDs 2,3,4,5 when the items haven't been updated. This must be a bug, it can't be by design.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Users online (54,762)