cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeWiese

Shared mailbox trigger misses emails

I have a flow triggered by an email arriving in a shared mailbox. It triggered just fine on a bunch of test messages on Friday and they all ran successfully. 

Then come Sunday, 17 emails arrived. The Flow only picked up 14 of them

Update: I learned today that a colleague manually copied 3 emails into this shared mailbox from elsewhere. That's why they didn't trigger any flow. Phew. So, my concerns about reliability were completely unfounded. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-alzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MikeWiese ,

It seems that your problem has been solved, please go ahead and mark the post as solved by clicking “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify!

Best regards,

Alice       

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-alzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MikeWiese ,

It seems that your problem has been solved, please go ahead and mark the post as solved by clicking “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify!

Best regards,

Alice       

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Abhay07
Helper I
Helper I

hey @MikeWiese I am also facing the same trigger skip some emails can you help me what could be the possible cases ? @v-alzhan-msft 

Like I said in my updated original post, it was in my case caused by a staff member manually copying emails into a shared mailbox. That may or may not be the case for you. 

In my past I have also tripped up on this sort of thing when I accidentally had configured a production function AND and staging function both triggering from the same queue. That kind of mistake sets up a race condition which could give rise to the sort of thing you are seeing. 

Cheers,

Mike

@MikeWiese 

By Manually moving emails to shared mailbox you mean they are copying the mails from other mailbox to shared mailbox ? 
can you explain me that race condition production function and staging function It could be really helpful.

MikeWiese

@Abhay07 

My memory of it was that I had a Queue-triggered Azure function - one that fires every time you put a message in a Queue. Normally I would have completely duplicated my infrastructure - I would have had a production queue and a separate staging queue, and my production and staging Azure Functions would be correctly configured to service the correct queue. I imagine I made a copy-and-paste mistake, and both of my Azure Functions were servicing the same queue.

So at that point, any message going in the queue was going to get consumed by either the production function, or the staging one. But not both. They were competing with each other. With that type of queue, once a message is consumed it's gone.  So, looking at the log files of one of those functions, it looked like they were missing approximately half the queue messages. 

The solution of course was simply fixing the configuration. I just had to make sure my production function was servicing my production queue, and the staging function was servicing the staging queue. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,171)