cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
djroller
Level: Powered On

Sharepoint Update Item Wipes Out Pre-Existing Data In Fields Not Being Updated

I am using Sharepoint Update item to update a handful of fields in a sharepoint list item when a new item is created.   New items are created with up to 10 fields populated.   The update item flow correctly adds the specified fields but in the process wipes out the contents of any fields left blank on the update item form.   Flow should ignore any fields that do not have an update value specified, but instead updates each field to an empty text string.   For example if an address has been populated in the list but address field left blank in the Update Item action, the address field gets updated to empty text.   Looking at the code behind the form I see "Address1":"",  which seems to explain why the contents of the address field is being replaced by "".   But it makes no sense that this would be a default for every field in the Sharepoint Update Item form.   Empty fields should be ignored by default, not updated to empty strings or null.

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Sharepoint Update Item Wipes Out Pre-Existing Data In Fields Not Being Updated

Hi @djroller ,

Could you please share a screenshot of the Flow configuration?

The feature expected by the Update item action is exactly the same as your description. It only updates the fields of the content you configured, and other fields are not updated.

Do not change/fill the fields that do not need to be changed when configuring the Update item action.

Or please try to fill the field with the Dynamic content of the corresponding field output in the trigger, which could also avoid the situation you mentioned.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
djroller
Level: Powered On

Re: Sharepoint Update Item Wipes Out Pre-Existing Data In Fields Not Being Updated

Flow.PNG

Hi Barry,

See below for flow and explanation of what is happening.    The second alternative you mentioned -- updating all fields with dynamic content of same, does work, but seems strange to have to specify an update action for fields I don't want to update.   Hard to imagine that is how this is intended to work.   IF it is, it should be documented because it's not at all intuitive.   The other thing is, there seems to be no way to recover data wiped out  in this manner unless you have list versioning turned on.   

Another solution I came across today is to create a custom view of just the fields I want updated, and then select advanced options and specify the view.  This limits the patched columns to just those I want to update.   But again, a very clumsy solution.   If I need to create a custom view every time I want to use flow to update certain fields in a list, that's very cumbersome.   Again, if this is the intent, the documentation should state this and also the danger of not doing it.   If you don't create a custom view, or if you don't specify an update action for the fields you want to keep, you will lose data if you leave fields blank.   Or, at least that is my experience.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 295 members 5,840 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: