cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

The timed-out approval request is not removed from the approvals center and can still be approved or rejected (no error msg given)

Hi,

The documentation is stating 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/flow/limits-and-config
These are the limits for a single flow run.

Name

Limit

Notes

Run duration

30 days

Includes workflows with pending steps like approvals. After 30 days, any pending steps time-out. Timed-out approvals are removed from the approvals center. If someone attempts to approve a timed-out request, they’ll receive an error message.

I have a flow that uses 'start and wait for an approval'.  The approval timeout is set to 1 hour.

But when it goes into timeout, the approval request is not removed and also not giving an error in the approvals center.

Is the 30 days timout behaviour as described in the documentation different from when a manual timout is set?

Thanks,

Martine

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: The timed-out approval request is not removed from the approvals center and can still be approved or rejected (no error msg given)

Hi @PowerMar10,

Thank you for your feedback!

I have tested on my side that creates an Approval Flow with timeout limit, wait for it goes into timeout, the approval center will still have the approval request and I still could approve it, however, the status of the Approval request in Common Data Center will change into Inactive and the Flow will fail.

Approval request in Common Data Center:

Annotation 2019-09-26 100051.pngFlow time out:Annotation 2019-09-26 101401.png

You can go to the end of this document, send feedback about this page, it will be taken care of it as soon as possible.Annotation 2019-09-26 101646.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Re: The timed-out approval request is not removed from the approvals center and can still be approved or rejected (no error msg given)

Thanks for this information and the confirmation.

I have reviewed the CDS records (msdyn_flow_approvals and msdyn_flow_approvalrequests) for my testcases and can't find the "Inactive" status.  Nothing changes to these records after the timeout.

Rgds,

Martine

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@v-litu-msft response sheds some light on what Power Automate is doing but unless the documentation that I have seen and @PowerMar10 has outlined is either corrected or update this is an bug.

Timed-out approvals are NOT removed nor is a error indicated when acting on a Timed-out approval from the record center. 

This may be more of a feature request but,  emails do not generate an error when approving timed-out approvals from an approval email.  This is not outlined in documentation but I would hope this would occur as the current functionality make it seem that the user is completing an approval process from the generated email.  

Not sure why this is not a big deal as requests just pile up in the Approval Center.  Makes the Approval Center unusable.

This is simple to confirm.  Create a flow add  "Start and wait for an approval" change the "Timeout" to 30 second (PT30S).  Add a scope with the "Configure run after" to "has timed out" then add another approval within the scope and repeat an one or twor times.  Run the flow against an item ,  in my case I have used a I have used a Sharepoint Document Library.  Run the flow and you will see that all the approvals stack up and remain in the Approval Center.  If you select them in any order you can act on them without error.

If I am configuring my flow incorrectly please let me know.

Please confirm this is either A Bug or Not A Bug and if not update the documentation as necessary to reflect correct functionality.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Super User Program Update

Three Super User rank tiers have been launched!

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

Join the new Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,693)