cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveDodge
Frequent Visitor

UI Flow Fails Attempting to Launch Power BI

I've been testing launching Power BI in order to process a data refresh and re-publish of a report in Power BI.  Everything seems to be fine, the workflow is able to be processed and saved and looks fine in the workflow designer.  When I run the workflow, however, the Splash screen for Power BI appears to be launching as an instance of Power BI and this is confusing the UI workflow step to launch Power BI.  The workflow fails immediately after launching Power BI and the application is not "hooked" to further process down the workflow, even if you set to "Run after error".  The resulting error is listed below:

GeneralScriptExecutionError. Script execution failed with exception: System.InvalidOperationException: {"error":"unknown error","message":"Failed to locate opened application window with appId: Microsoft.MicrosoftPowerBIDesktop_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Microsoft.MicrosoftPowerBIDesktop, and processId: 13932"} at Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Agent.WinAppDriver.Components.WinAppDriverHost.<CreateSession>d__41.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Agent.Engine.Operations.RpaLaunchApplicationAction.<OnExecute>d__1.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Agent.Engine.RpaScriptExecutionEngine.<ExecuteActionOperation>d__8.MoveNext()

From previous experience working with WPF applications in Visual Studio, we had a similar issue with applications that had a splash screen and the workaround was to wait for a period of time to where the splash screen was no longer present and get the ID of the application from the actual launched application.  It does not appear that there is any way to modify the "Lauch" component of the UI flow so that could be accomplished.  Do you know of any other way to work around this or is it a known bug that is being addressed?

13 REPLIES 13

Hi @a-ovbord,

Can you kindly provide if there is an update on this bug fix, or approximate timeframes on a possible fix. I am also having the same issue as mentioned by others here. I will attempt to create a Flow that will launch and run other 3rd party macro recorders if this bug is unlikely to be fixed in 3 or more months. Thank you.

Regards

Jay

ravz85
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same issue

Mat33
Frequent Visitor

l also have this issue, tried timeouts etc to no avail.

Any news? Im trying the same

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

PA Survey Carousel Image.png

We want to hear from you!

If you are a small business ISV/Reseller, share your thoughts with our research team.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,599)