cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adam13hylo
Frequent Visitor

ValidateUpdateItem causes flow to trigger multiple times.

Hi all, 

Wondering if anyone can provide any help. 

Currently I have a very simple PowerAutomate flow that is triggered on item creation or modification. The flow is associated with a

very basic list containing just a title column for testing purposes. Using the 'validateUpdateListItem' endpoint along with the SharePoint HTTP action I am trying to update the title.

When testing this the list item is updated as expected, and the version does not increment, however the PowerAutomate flow is triggered again as if the list item has been modified.

When inspecting the body of the trigger when the flow is triggered I can see that the modified date is an hour behind that of the actual modification time, as an example:

ModifiedDate.png

Even when converting the date to UTC using a PowerAutomate expression in the body of the HTTP Post action I am finding that the flow is being triggered multiple times, as an example:

flowtriggers.png

Currently the HTTP Post Action is configured as so:

Endpoint
https://tenant.sharepoint.com/sites/sitecol/_api/web/GetList('/sites/sitecol/Lists/mylist')/items(ID...

Method
Headers

{ "Accept": "application/json;odata=nometadata", "Content-Type": "application/json;odata=nometadata" }

Body

{"formValues":
	[
{ "FieldName": "Modified", "FieldValue": "2021-10-21 22:52:36" },
{"FieldName":"Editor", "FieldValue":"[{'Key':'username@tenant.onmicrosoft.com'}]"},
{"FieldName":"Title","FieldValue":"UpdatedTitle"}
	],
		"bNewDocumentUpdate":true
}

To format the modified date within the body of the HTTP request I am using the following expression:

@{convertFromUtc(triggerBody()?['Modified'], 'GMT Standard Time', 'yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss')}

Appreciate if anyone can help me out with this as I am currently seeing this issue suddenly arise across multiple tenants. 

The flow in full is as below:

fullflow.png

1 REPLY 1
damooji
Frequent Visitor

I just posted about this here, having same if not similar issue. Basically, had created many flows since last year using the validateupdatelistitem endpoint...all were working perfectly fine until recently, they started to loop. As Pstork1 mentioned in a reply to my post, can only assume MS pushed some update that changed how this works.  Quite unfortunate and sucks, my team has been getting emails from customers, and poor customers have been getting constant email notifications caused by the loops. I couldn't find anything else on this and sounds like for now, only option to use another work around...

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (3,226)