cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StefanVerheggen
Frequent Visitor

after import solution with Microsoft power platform tooling in Azure DevOps flow stay disabled

Hi There, 

We are using three cloud flows. (using dataverse and approval connector). When using the Power Platform Import Solution component in Azure DevOps the solution is imported correctly, only the cloud flows are disabled (before the import they were enabled). The following options are activated: Import Solution as asynchronous operation, Import as a holding solution, Overwrite unmanaged customizations, Activate processes (workflows) after import, Import as a managed solution. When the deployment is run the flows are disabled. Manually I select the flows and turn them on. Everything is running fine, no changes have to be made.

When the import of the same solution (increased version number) is done manually and selecting the enable plugin steps and flows included in the solution and chosen upgrade as solution action the import succeeds again and now flows are still enabled. The bug is reported before and marked as solved. I don't believe it is solved. Can this be investigated or is there a workaround? 

Thanks in advanced for you help, time and effort. 

Regards, 

Stefan Verheggen

3 REPLIES 3
Aedu
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @StefanVerheggen 

Any news regarding this issue? we struggle with the same problems (deactivated flows after solution import).

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian, 

The problem is that a connection in the environment is user owned. The connection can't be assigned to an application user (I don't know how).  As I understand Microsoft is working on that. I also have a non-expiring user that doesn't need to use MFA. For now how did I solve the problem.

1. I created a logic solution with only flows in it, with the used connection references
  2. I use the power platform CLI to export the solution (managed and unmanaged) from the dev environment. I authenticate with my normal admin user account. pac solution export 
  3. The solution is unpacked with pac solution unpack
  4. After that a settings file is create with pac solution creat-settings
  5. This setting file contains all the connection references without the connection id filled. This default file I use for seeing if connection references are added (I use a Git repo). I copied the setting file and renamed it for every environment. 
  6. I open a new browser and go to power apps en open the target environment and go to the connection logged in with the non expiring user. Create the connections if needed and get the id from the url by opening the details of the connection. Fill the settings file that is used for the target environment with the correct connection ids. 
  7. To import the solution (Azure DevOps tasks or pac solution import) create a connection with the non expiring user and import the solution indicating to use the settings file. 
  8. First time it can be that the flows are deactivated. Activate them after deploy manually. 
  9. Redeploy the solution and the flows should be activated. 
  10. In the target environment the flow is owned by the non-expiring user, also the connection references and the connection

This worked for me. Another solution is when not using the settings file is import the solution and afterwards open the connection references with the non-expiring user and assign the connections (basically what happens under the hood with the settings file). Only caveat is that when somebody doesn't know the procedure and goes in the flow and edit a new connection reference and connection can be created.

I don't if it is possible to update the connection reference with the app user when knowing the connection id from the url and import the solution with the app user. 

Hopefully this helps you out. 

Regards,

Stefan

Aedu
Helper I
Helper I

thank you for the detailed answer @StefanVerheggen 

This is a possible solution. But it is much too complicated for me. It contradicts the deployment idea if you first have to go into the target environments, create the connections there and take over the ID before a deployment works correctly. I prefer to wait for Microsoft, in the hope that they will soon present a viable solution to this issue.

Regards,
Aedu

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

New Process Advisor Capabilities carousel.png

Read the blog for the latest news

Read the latest about new experiences and capabilities in the Power Automate product blog.

PA Survey Carousel Image.png

We want to hear from you!

If you are a small business ISV/Reseller, share your thoughts with our research team.

AI Builder AMA June 7th carousel (up on May 25th, take down June 8th) (1).png

'Ask Microsoft Anything' about AI Builder!

The AI Builder team invite you to ask questions and provide helpful answers at our next AMA.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,506)