cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

file extension

Hello all,

When I use the Manually trigger a flow button to get a file that should follow a approval process i cannot get the file extension (it gets lost) to save this file in any service (Sharepoint, google drive, gmail, outlook, etc). I found some workarounds when the file is loaded from sharepoint services but they didn't work when i get the file from "manually trigger a flow button". Does anyone know how to solve this?

Captura6.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: file extension

The o365dude has a solution posted here:

https://www.o365dude.com/2017/10/15/new-flow-button-inputs-available/

Basically anywhere you need the file name (which is what I needed) of a Manual Triggered Flow Button, use this expression:

string(triggerBody()?['file']?['name'])

I have not tested replacing 'name' with 'extention', but if you can't, I'm sure you can get creative to extract the extention from the name string...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ adanl,

Could you please share a full screenshot with details of the configuration of your flow?

Have you add a text with the file name in the "Manually trigger a flow"?

What are you want to do with the file extension?

If you use the trigger "Manually trigger a flow" in your flow, you need to enter the file name with expression manually after you choose the file, please refer to screenshot below:

Capture.PNG

If you would like the "manually trigger a flow" trigger could return the file name automatically without enter the file name manually,

I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Regards,
Alice Zhang

Highlighted

Thank you Alice!

The thing is that the name of the file is created and saved into googledrive and sharepoint depending on other variables (date + projectname + id, example: "20180323 Bridge Construction A34.pdf"), so what i need is to preserve the original extension of the file without asking explicit the file extension to the user. Can you help me with this? I've tried to put directly the name of the file attached as a name but i loose the extension. The extension seems to have to be added explicit.

Captura3.PNGcaptura1.PNGcaptura2.PNG

Another question is why when i run my flow from the mobile i cannot upload other files than images (pdf, docx, etc). From PC i can upload any file. Is it restricted for some reason on mobiles?

Highlighted

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

The o365dude has a solution posted here:

https://www.o365dude.com/2017/10/15/new-flow-button-inputs-available/

Basically anywhere you need the file name (which is what I needed) of a Manual Triggered Flow Button, use this expression:

string(triggerBody()?['file']?['name'])

I have not tested replacing 'name' with 'extention', but if you can't, I'm sure you can get creative to extract the extention from the name string...

View solution in original post

Highlighted

JSteige this was exactly what i needed. It worked excellent

Thank you so much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Now Live: Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (7,317)