cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KoenJanssensPD
Resolver I
Resolver I

A business rule recommendation cannot use a field value if it is not visible on the form

Dear,

I post this message after I had some problems getting a business rule recommendation to fill in a field with a another lookup field.

I found the solution with one sentence on this blog: Best Practices for Business Rules in Microsoft Dynamics 365 | Dynamics 365 - NJ, PA, DE, MD, FL | Be...

I tried to set some field of a custom entity, through a recommendation, to the value of the field "Created By", but it stayed empty...

It appears that this sentence on the mentioned blog post was the solution: "Don't forget to place the Created On field somewhere on the form (body, header, or footer)." 

Since I did not show the "Created By" field, the recommendation could not use it to fill in the other field... I added the field to the footer of the form and now it worked...

I hope this can be helpful for others.

1 REPLY 1
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @KoenJanssensPD ,

This catches me probably every 6 months 🙂  You need to have on the form in some way for the Business Rule to work appropriately.  Note, it can be hidden on the form so if you want to perform an action based on the field it doesn't need to show, just be on the form.

Hope this helps.  Please accept if this answers your question or like if helps in some way.

Thanks,

Drew

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (2,322)