cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanielMonger
Frequent Visitor

Access to Model-driven app even though I don't have a Power App plan

Hi,

I have a very confusing situation while working with a client. They have requested a Model-driven app, however they had not accounted for the cost of a 'per app' plan.

While investigating on their tenant which I only have an E3 licence for, I was able to access their sandbox environment and interact with a test model-driven app someone had built. 

I then accessed the default environment, opened the standard project model-driven app and was able to create a project (then when I opened the schedule in project for the web I got a read only grid, this I expected as I did not have a Project Plan 1/3/5).

I just can't explain why I am able to access their model-driven apps and created records / delete records.

Has anyone else experienced this? We are trying to explain why the client needs to get a Power Apps licence but it is hard when I get the access I get currently.

I was also able to create a model-driven app in their sandbox environment. I do have System Admin security role for sandbox. 

I understand their could be a trial period but I signed up to no trial and no trial appears in my subscription screen. 

SDS Subscriptions.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @DanielMonger,

Licensing in Microsoft is a "Trust" situation and you can many times access applications if you provide the right roles to the users in the environment even though they do not have a license.  This is of course against their licensing model and they can see the telemetry for who is accessing what applications and if you are ever audited you will be responsible to pay. 

Many times I wish Microsoft would just "lock" you out and they are beginning to do this with "Team Member" licenses in Dynamics 365 but not across the board.  What makes it even more complex is "Power Apps Per App" licenses are assigned to environments and not specifically to users so you can get out of compliance pretty easy if not paying attention.

Hope this helps.  Please accept if answers your question or Like if helped in some way.

Thanks,
Drew 

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @DanielMonger,

Licensing in Microsoft is a "Trust" situation and you can many times access applications if you provide the right roles to the users in the environment even though they do not have a license.  This is of course against their licensing model and they can see the telemetry for who is accessing what applications and if you are ever audited you will be responsible to pay. 

Many times I wish Microsoft would just "lock" you out and they are beginning to do this with "Team Member" licenses in Dynamics 365 but not across the board.  What makes it even more complex is "Power Apps Per App" licenses are assigned to environments and not specifically to users so you can get out of compliance pretty easy if not paying attention.

Hope this helps.  Please accept if answers your question or Like if helped in some way.

Thanks,
Drew 

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

Hi,

That makes sense now and certainly a very good way to relay that back to my client.

Appreciate the quick response. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Users online (1,624)