cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SebastianMusiol
Regular Visitor

Access to records from other user(s)

Hello everyone

I have one scenario in my project and I cannot find an easy & efficient way to cover it.

Let's suppose we have table Table1 and 3 users: A, B, C.

User A & B are working together, user C is an individual one.

- Whenever user A creates a record in Table1 user B can see that record and can modify it (same permissions for this record as user A) and vice versa. 

- User A&B don't have an access to records of user C

- User C doesn't have an access to records of user A&B

I have tried with:

- sharing records - it works but it has to be done for each created record separately - not efficient enough

- owner team - great solution to change owner of a record (even during creation) to the team but then I'm loosing info about person owner (I need to know which particular user takes care about it).

- access team - if I understand it properly, situation is similar to sharing - so everytime I need to add user to particular record

Are there any other solutions?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
dpoggemann
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @SebastianMusiol ,

Access Teams is the path I would be looking at and you can utilize Power Automate to automate the assignment of the users to the access team on creation of the record.   You would just need to have an approach outlined to determine who should be added when you create the record.  I utilized this type of approach in one of my last projects and it worked great.  I also triggered the flow on assignment as well to handle changing the access team users.

Hope this helps.  Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

Thanks,

Drew

View solution in original post

Hello @dpoggemann .

Thanks for your advice. Sounds ok.

But I think I found a simpler solution.

- I have created 2 additional child business units: 1 for user A&B and 1 for user C - from business perspective this is fine for my case

- I modified security role in such way that user should see only records from own business unit

- I didn't have to create any teams for now (but I can - so this additional level still available for me for different purposes)

- No dedicated flows

What do you think about such approach? Any disadvantages or gaps that I might not be aware of?

6 REPLIES 6
dpoggemann
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @SebastianMusiol ,

Access Teams is the path I would be looking at and you can utilize Power Automate to automate the assignment of the users to the access team on creation of the record.   You would just need to have an approach outlined to determine who should be added when you create the record.  I utilized this type of approach in one of my last projects and it worked great.  I also triggered the flow on assignment as well to handle changing the access team users.

Hope this helps.  Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

Thanks,

Drew

Hello @dpoggemann .

Thanks for your advice. Sounds ok.

But I think I found a simpler solution.

- I have created 2 additional child business units: 1 for user A&B and 1 for user C - from business perspective this is fine for my case

- I modified security role in such way that user should see only records from own business unit

- I didn't have to create any teams for now (but I can - so this additional level still available for me for different purposes)

- No dedicated flows

What do you think about such approach? Any disadvantages or gaps that I might not be aware of?

dpoggemann
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @SebastianMusiol,

This is a good option if the sharing is static.  The challenge is when this gets more dynamic and you need to be able to identify these types of relationships and sharing record by record.

Hopefully this works well for you as from a system perspective as it is easier configuration!  

Thanks,

Drew

techMK

Why not just make a switch case for this in app?

Thanks a lot for your hints!

Anyway, solution proposed by you will solve my other challenges so worth to remember 🙂 

Hello @techMK 

Switch-case - you mean hardcode in app what should be shown based on, for instance, owner of a record?

It is not secure and not flexible enough:

- if new user will come I will have to modify switch-case

- switch-case will have to be applied in each app (code duplication) which requires same approach

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (1,507)