cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clinch

Accessing Dataverse/Power App Data on external Public Website via API

Hello - I am stumped trying to find a similar idea on how we can achieve this.

We are currently using a model-driven power app/Dataverse to house school applications. Once an application is submitted, our representatives will begin updating the application record "Application Status" custom field as they are going through the various steps.

Our partner wants to create a external website (just simple HTML/CSS/JavaScript) to display an application lookup where applicants can type in their application ID or send applicants direct-links to view the status of their application. (example: domain.com/application-status/?appid=1234)

This external, public website would have to connect to our dataverse/power app via the web api to make the request and display it to the applicant searching/viewing the website.

How can this be achieved? All I have read is that the user looking up data will need to have a Microsoft account and authenticated in our environment to view the data.

Can someone point me in the right direct on how to get this done (article or existing thread). Your help is highly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @clinch ,

Have you reviewed the following?  These are full examples that show how to use the Web APIs to retrieve information from the Dataverse.  This should get you started...   https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/developer/data-platform/webapi/web-api-samples-client-sid... 

Hope this helps.  Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

Thanks,

Drew

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew
clinch

hi @dpoggemann 

I actually have review these examples and this is strictly if you're running an application inside of the solution (web resource, etc). I am stricly speaking about querying data outside of the enviornrment via api.
a standalone HTML/CSS/JS website connecting via api to grab data stored in dataverse table.

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @clinch ,

This article has videos that will help you from front to back on this process from creating and registering an application in Azure Active Directory to calling the APIs etc.  

https://crmchap.co.uk/exam-pl-400-revision-notes-working-with-the-microsoft-dataverse-web-api-and-pr... 

Hope this helps.  Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

Thanks,

Drew

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

June User Group Leader Call

Join us on June 28 for our monthly User Group leader call!

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Users online (1,453)