cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geoowl
Regular Visitor

Add Multiple Records to field

Greetings, 

I am building a model driven application to assist us on contract bids. The contracts often require that we assemble of team of companies. 

Is it possible to create a field (for my "Opportunities" entity)  that allows you to select multiple "Company" entity records? I have a tab in the form view for "Teaming" and would like to add all of the teamed companies to a "Team" field.

Once there are multiple company records associated with the Opportunities entity, I would like to be able to submit emails to all companies at once. Is this possible? 

Thanks for your help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
EricRegnier
Super User
Super User

Hi @geoowl,

Yes it's possible with a many-to-many (N-N) relationship between Opportunity and Company. You can use out-of-the-box N-N relationship or create a custom one with a "junction" entity (an entity that has lookups to both Opportunity and Company). Both methods have pros and cons, but my personal preference is junction entity because you can have additional fields on the relationship such as "Relationship Type" whereas out-of-the-box N-N are pretty limited. Once you've established your N-N relationship, add a subgrid referring to your junction entity (or referring to out-of-the-box N-N) on the Opportunity form where users will add Companies as need be.

For your 2nd question, it's also possible and I assume Exchange integration is already setup and the mailbox are enabled, if not check out the link below. Each Company (assuming you're using the out-of-the-box account entity) must have an email set (name = EMailAddress1) and users will have to select the companies manually in the "TO" field unless you have an automated email where your logic automatically set the recipients.

Enable outgoing emails: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/connect-exchange-online

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
EricRegnier
Super User
Super User

Hi @geoowl,

Yes it's possible with a many-to-many (N-N) relationship between Opportunity and Company. You can use out-of-the-box N-N relationship or create a custom one with a "junction" entity (an entity that has lookups to both Opportunity and Company). Both methods have pros and cons, but my personal preference is junction entity because you can have additional fields on the relationship such as "Relationship Type" whereas out-of-the-box N-N are pretty limited. Once you've established your N-N relationship, add a subgrid referring to your junction entity (or referring to out-of-the-box N-N) on the Opportunity form where users will add Companies as need be.

For your 2nd question, it's also possible and I assume Exchange integration is already setup and the mailbox are enabled, if not check out the link below. Each Company (assuming you're using the out-of-the-box account entity) must have an email set (name = EMailAddress1) and users will have to select the companies manually in the "TO" field unless you have an automated email where your logic automatically set the recipients.

Enable outgoing emails: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/connect-exchange-online

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much!

This works, I created the "Teaming" entity and have it linked to "opportunities" and "companies" and have the related "Teaming" records displayed in a sub-grid on the Opportunities Form. I still think there should be an entity that enables multiple lookup records outside of the activity party-list entity (To, cc, bcc, etc.) but this will work!

As far as the emails go, I think i am going to have to create an E-mail Distro entity since we work with various divisions within the same companies, so a company specific distro can change from opportunity to opportunity. Again a field with multiple records would be helpful. I know Dynamics has marketing lists, so I'm looking into those as well.

Thanks for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Power Apps Ideas

Changes to Ideas Coming

We are excited to announce a new way to share your ideas for Power Apps!

Users online (3,120)