cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrstian89
Helper III
Helper III

Add document links to items in an equipment list (Dataverse)

I have an app to list all the equipment in my company.

This app already takes advantage of the attachment function in Power Apps / Dataverse.

But I am looking for a way to be able to add relevant hyperlinks to these items and show them in the app.

Inputs

• Hyperlink to desired web site or document
  • Title / short description

How:

• Can it be done with one single column?
  • Which column in Dataverse could do this and how do I implement this in a PowerApps form?
  • How to store X number of links? Some items may have zero links, some may have 10.
  • How can I manage and delete links if they are no longer relevant?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @mrstian89 ,

You will want to do this through a relationship table (1:N) from the equipment table.  You would have a table that would be named something like "Links" 😀 and have a couple columns like URL (which set as type in Dataverse of URL), Alt Text (in case you are displaying in a Canvas App or something and you want an alternate text to the URL, and maybe a Description that describes the link.  

This approach will allow you to maintain multiple links all related to the original Equipment record and add / delete as required.

Hope this helps.  Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

Thanks,

Drew

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @mrstian89 ,

You will want to do this through a relationship table (1:N) from the equipment table.  You would have a table that would be named something like "Links" 😀 and have a couple columns like URL (which set as type in Dataverse of URL), Alt Text (in case you are displaying in a Canvas App or something and you want an alternate text to the URL, and maybe a Description that describes the link.  

This approach will allow you to maintain multiple links all related to the original Equipment record and add / delete as required.

Hope this helps.  Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

Thanks,

Drew

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

View solution in original post

I was actually able to make it work with one column string!

Set(varLinker, LookUp('Equipment List', ItemNo = ThisItem.ItemNo && Plant = ThisItem.Plant));
ClearCollect(collectLinker, Split(varLinker.Links,"|"));

GalleryItems:

Filter(collectLinker,!IsBlank(Result))

Storing links like this:

|Title,Link|

Some substitutes, LookUps, Mid, Left and Find commands, and voila! It is working! 

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

hi @mrstian89 ,

That is good but just understand with this approach you are not maintaining a list of links and being able to export those links or see if one record has 3 and another has 5, etc.  This is just filling in a single text field with the information with a delimiter.  A relational model might help you more on this with the 1:N for future and be able to add metadata around the link.  

Glad you got to work with your use case though!

Thanks,

Drew

Thanks,
Drew

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Power Apps Community Call Jan. 2022 768x460.png

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, January 19th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Users online (1,335)