cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krp28
Advocate I
Advocate I

Adding Email activity to record

I have a custom table to store information about work jobs, which is linked to a second custom table which hold details about the customer. I would like to be able to also track emails to and from the customer related to specific jobs, and I have two questions about this.

1. I have enabled Activities for the jobs table, and can add an email via the Timeline in the main form. However, the From and To fields appear to be look-ups, rather than free text. I cannot therefore simply add the sender's name and/or email address. Is this posisble, and if so how would I go about it.
  2. Emails to and from the customer are currently handled through Outlook, rather than the Model-based App I have linked to the tables described above. These may come from different people at the company, and have varying subject lines, making automatic filtering/forwarding difficult. It would therefore be helpful if the email could be added directly from Outlook to the Record, either by manually forwarding it to an email address belonging to the record, or clicking and dragging. Are either of those things possible?

I realise these might be have rather simple solutions, but any help anyone can offer would be very welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dpoggemann
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @krp28 

You will need to change configuration in the system settings to "Allow Messages with unresolved email recipients to be sent.  This will allow you to add in recipients of the email that are not contacts, users or accounts (or other email enabled entities) in the system.

dpoggemann_0-1611942758511.jpeg

The from address needs to be a queue or user so it can be validated as a valid from email address and if you try sending as another user from Dynamics 365 that user would need to allow this in their personalization options

dpoggemann_1-1611942921602.png

Sending in Outlook, you should "track" the email utilizing the Dynamics 365 App for Outlook and this will track the email to that entity selected automatically in Exchange (Assuming you have Server-Side Synchronization configured). 

There is also ability for end users to put emails into folder in Outlook and configure these to be tracked to specific entities as well but there are limitations on numbers.   

dpoggemann_2-1611943142461.png

Finally there is some different tracking options in the "Track" where it can even track "all email messages" but that is really extensive and would not suggest.

Hopefully this helps in your needs.

Thanks,

Drew

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
dpoggemann
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @krp28 

You will need to change configuration in the system settings to "Allow Messages with unresolved email recipients to be sent.  This will allow you to add in recipients of the email that are not contacts, users or accounts (or other email enabled entities) in the system.

dpoggemann_0-1611942758511.jpeg

The from address needs to be a queue or user so it can be validated as a valid from email address and if you try sending as another user from Dynamics 365 that user would need to allow this in their personalization options

dpoggemann_1-1611942921602.png

Sending in Outlook, you should "track" the email utilizing the Dynamics 365 App for Outlook and this will track the email to that entity selected automatically in Exchange (Assuming you have Server-Side Synchronization configured). 

There is also ability for end users to put emails into folder in Outlook and configure these to be tracked to specific entities as well but there are limitations on numbers.   

dpoggemann_2-1611943142461.png

Finally there is some different tracking options in the "Track" where it can even track "all email messages" but that is really extensive and would not suggest.

Hopefully this helps in your needs.

Thanks,

Drew

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Apps Community Call

Monthly Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call?? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Users online (36,536)