cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
silaman
Resolver I
Resolver I

Adding new items to associated lookup, via edit form in one submission.

What would you do if you wanted to update your lookup table from your form submission?

i.e as you're filling out your form, you have to make a new entry into the lookup as it doesn't exist and you want that to save with the item in the form, but also pipe back up as a future option in the look up table?

Can you set the combo box to have a manual entry option and pipe it in that way?

Again, it has to effectively update two tables.

All I can think of is doing a patch or form into the look table prior to filling out the larger form.

Thankyou

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-jefferni
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @silaman ,

Your thought is correct. You will need to generate item in LookUp table first. But to achieve this we have an easy way:

1. Add a button beside the Combobox within the Card. OnSelect set to update the LookUp table:

Patch(LookUpTable, Defaults(LookUpTable), {PrimaryNameColumn: Combobox.SearchText})

vjefferni_0-1657790322312.png

2. DisplayMode of the Submit button:

If(
    IsBlank(Combobox.Selected),
    DisplayMode.Disabled,
    DisplayMode.Edit,
)

So only when there is an item selected in the combo box, users are able to submit the form.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
365-Assist
Power Participant
Power Participant

1 - Save the option to the Form. This video explains well SharePoint HTTP Action add Choice Value with Power Automate - YouTube. Don't worry about the SharePoint stuff. Replace it with step 2 below.

2 - You will need to use Power Automate to add the choices to the DV table. Here is a video I found that may help Automatically Updating A Dataverse Choice list (Option Set) - YouTube

---------------------------------------------------
Please Accept as Solution if it solves your question. Or just give it a Thumbs Up if it is helpful as can help others.

Subscribe: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFpvUlpx84FuIPOdInGKMTw
Twitter: https://twitter.com/assist_365

Regards
Darren Lutchner - 365 Assist

v-jefferni
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @silaman ,

Your thought is correct. You will need to generate item in LookUp table first. But to achieve this we have an easy way:

1. Add a button beside the Combobox within the Card. OnSelect set to update the LookUp table:

Patch(LookUpTable, Defaults(LookUpTable), {PrimaryNameColumn: Combobox.SearchText})

vjefferni_0-1657790322312.png

2. DisplayMode of the Submit button:

If(
    IsBlank(Combobox.Selected),
    DisplayMode.Disabled,
    DisplayMode.Edit,
)

So only when there is an item selected in the combo box, users are able to submit the form.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Thanks for this, there aren't many alternatives but this seems the simplest. 

Thanks for you suggestion, however there is ready a lot of automation going on which causes delays sometimes, and I don't want members having to wait for automation going on in the background before they can see a result as they're filling out a table or trying to make multiple entries.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (5,287)