cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarcoLotscherNC
Helper III
Helper III

Aggregate Data in CDS with DataFlow (PowerQuery)

In order to prepare data for a report which is generated by a flow, I'd like to aggregate it before with power query (within DataFlow). Otherwise I'd have to aggregate it in the flow logic, which would be error prone and complex.

My idea was that I could create a dataflow, which would load the table information from cds, transform it with power query and finally store it correctly aggregated in another cds table.

Surprisingly, it seems that DataFlow doesn't support cds as a data source. Is that true?

Does anyone know, if there's another way, how I could acheive this?

Initially I had the idea to use the Power BI API to gather the aggregated tables with flow. But this requires at least "Power Bi Embedded Subscription" which is far beyond the expectation of our customer, in terms of costs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kojisaiki
Microsoft
Microsoft

Please try OData datasource.

kojisaiki_0-1599637732947.png

For accessing Dynamics as OData, you can use web api.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/developer/common-data-service/webapi/overview

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
kojisaiki
Microsoft
Microsoft

Please try OData datasource.

kojisaiki_0-1599637732947.png

For accessing Dynamics as OData, you can use web api.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/developer/common-data-service/webapi/overview

View solution in original post

Very good idea. 

Thank you.

In the meantime I've directly the data by using the odata "aggregate" and "groupby" functions directly in flow.

But I think just importing it with dataflow and aggregating in power query would be much more convenient.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza Winner Announcement

Please join us on Wednesday, July 21st at 8a PDT. We will be announcing the Winners of the Demo Extravaganza!

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,663)