Did you mean: 
David_Pezzoli
Advocate V
Advocate V

Analyze Dataverse Classic Workflows

Hi all,

based on the Power Automate flow limits indicated in the MS document :

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/limits-and-config

, Is there a tool/solution that allows you to analyze the number of daily actions per workflow, the number of daily Web API calls per workflow, the daily workflow throughput etc ... ??
In Dataverse (analytics) there is no evidence of the performance of each workflow, I need a tool or a solution that analyzes the executions in detail.

Thx,

David

Also see:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Power-Automate/Analyze-Dataverse-Classic-Workflows/m-p/1...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I think it's an important limit of classic workflow monitoring. Mi ideas was:

1. Extract in Excel all system jobs (workflow sessions) for one entity, for a time range

2. Estimate in Excel the executions peak, the average daily run per workflow

3. Esitmate the number of actions counting the number of steps for each workflow and per each daily run execution

4. Estimate the average Web Api call per daily Wokflow Execution counting = CRUD Wkf Steps operations + 1 (the Wkf trigger) + Childs Wkf call/Action call + CRUD operation inside Workflow custom Activity Plugin

Otherwise, it's difficult to estimate the throughput and the # MB reads data / 5 min!

I think the only solution is:

* the forecast estimate mentioned above

* replace the logic of the workflows developing optimized modern Power Automate flows (pay attention to MS best practice) and monitoring them with a strong Data Quality Test and User-Acceptance-Testing

* After Go-live developments monitoring Power Automate flows using CoE and Dataverse Analytics 

What do you think about it? Do you have any suggestions? Alternative solutions?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @David_Pezzoli ,

The only tools I know that currently exist is the following:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/analytics-common-data-service 

Hope this helps.  Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

Thanks,

Drew

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

Hi @dpoggemann ,

but there aren't inside Analytics these KPIs:

he number of daily actions per workflow,

the number of daily Web API calls per workflow,

the daily workflow throughput

etc...

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @David_Pezzoli 

Agreed, I have never seen anything that walks through that level with classic workflows. 

Thought about another option, to mention though, focusing on the non-classic components which is the Center of Excellence Starter Kit https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/guidance/coe/starter-kit 

There are specifically Power BI charts that will walk through flow executions per flow and look at many more analytics:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/guidance/coe/power-bi-monitor 

I know this doesn't help with the classic though, sorry.

Thanks,

Drew

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

I think it's an important limit of classic workflow monitoring. Mi ideas was:

1. Extract in Excel all system jobs (workflow sessions) for one entity, for a time range

2. Estimate in Excel the executions peak, the average daily run per workflow

3. Esitmate the number of actions counting the number of steps for each workflow and per each daily run execution

4. Estimate the average Web Api call per daily Wokflow Execution counting = CRUD Wkf Steps operations + 1 (the Wkf trigger) + Childs Wkf call/Action call + CRUD operation inside Workflow custom Activity Plugin

Otherwise, it's difficult to estimate the throughput and the # MB reads data / 5 min!

I think the only solution is:

* the forecast estimate mentioned above

* replace the logic of the workflows developing optimized modern Power Automate flows (pay attention to MS best practice) and monitoring them with a strong Data Quality Test and User-Acceptance-Testing

* After Go-live developments monitoring Power Automate flows using CoE and Dataverse Analytics 

What do you think about it? Do you have any suggestions? Alternative solutions?

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @David_Pezzoli ,

Sounds like a logical approach at this time.  You might be able to connect with Power BI and pull this type of information as well vs having to do in Excel.  But Excel works too 😀

Thanks,

Drew

Thanks,
Drew

Helpful resources

Announcements
Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations 768x460.png

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022 - Season 2 has kicked off!

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

<
Users online (2,959)