Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peter_c
Helper I
Helper I

Assign security role to Azure AD security group team

Hello,

Is it possible to assign a security role to an Azure AD security group team in the Common Data Service security model?

According to this article: Using Azure Active Directory groups to manage a user’s app and data access it should be possible based on the extract below.

CDS security group team.png

However, when you go to the admin interface and view the AAD security group teams, the "Manage Roles" button is missing in the toolbar as shown below.

AAD security group team.png

In contrast, if you view the owner teams, the "Manage Roles" button is available as shown below.

AAD owner team.png

Am I missing something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @peter_c ,

Do you want to assign a Security Role of your current Environment to a specific AAD Security Group Team?

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I have made a test, and the issue is confirmed on my side. It is an known issue with AAD Security Group Team -- when you want to assign a Security Role to a AAD Security Group Team, the "MANAGE ROLES" button would not be visible within the Top Menu Option of Teams List.

As an fixed solution, you could consider click the AAD Security Group Team, and open it, within the opening Team details Pop-Up, you could see the "MANAGE ROLES" button there:

6.JPG

Please take a try with above solution, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @peter_c ,

Do you want to assign a Security Role of your current Environment to a specific AAD Security Group Team?

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I have made a test, and the issue is confirmed on my side. It is an known issue with AAD Security Group Team -- when you want to assign a Security Role to a AAD Security Group Team, the "MANAGE ROLES" button would not be visible within the Top Menu Option of Teams List.

As an fixed solution, you could consider click the AAD Security Group Team, and open it, within the opening Team details Pop-Up, you could see the "MANAGE ROLES" button there:

6.JPG

Please take a try with above solution, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Thanks Kris.  When I click on the team, the pop-up that opens also doesn't contain the Manage Roles button as shown below.  However, I was able to navigate to the Dynamics365 version of the UI (as you've shown above) and it does have the Manage Roles button when I click on a team.

AAD security group team popup.png 

OMG!

Been searching on this for over an hour in the Dynamics Settings —> how come the button is gone when selecting AAD connected Team?!

I really do not want to become a Dynamics Consultant to help out my Power Platform Customers 😝 

I'm so glad this is here, We were just looking at this today and we were wondering where the manage roles button was. 🙂

This is a great solution for an App that we have that needs to be available to ALL employees as the Default Team is... All Employees!

Django
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

As everything in Dataverse / CDS is moving to the Unified Interface and I still do not see a Manage Roles button voor AAD Security Teams where it should be in the Teams overview:

- Button visible for Owner Teams = 

Django_0-1606392491176.png

- Button not visible for AAD Security Teams = 

Django_1-1606392539327.png

...does this mean we do cannot assign Security Roles to AAD Security Teams anymore?? #MajorBug

frederikbisback
Advocate V
Advocate V

Hello all, 
I was passing by this topic. 
Adding a AAD Security teams to a security role can be done by selecting the Environment >> Settings >> Security roles >> [Select your "Security Role"]  and click [Add people] 
In the following window you have the possibility to add the AAD security teams group. See screenshot.

frederikbisback_0-1618921140517.png

Hope this help.

Kind regards, 

Frederik Bisback

In my case it was about giving a specific Team a specific Security Role within the environment but in the new interface the Manage roles button was not visible

Looking at the URL of the Team you are visiting from the back-end of the Power Platform (Dynamics..) it will be something like:

https://PowerPlatformEnvironment.crm4.dynamics.com/main.aspx?pagetype=entityrecord&etn=team&id=c374e529-dc2f-eb11-a813-000d3a65469c&forceUCI=0

to make the button visible again --> change the part of

forceUCI=0

to

forceclassic=1

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (1,138)