Helper I

Auto populate the Primary Name column with the combination of two other columns

Hello,

I have a simple lookup table with four columns - Project Manager

1) Manager Name (Primary name)

2) First Name

3) Last Name

3) Supervisor

What I'd like to do is set the Manager Name to be equal to the First Name + the Last Name so that we do not need to manually type it.

I tried the Business Rule way but I found it only allows me to set the Manager Name to just one column, either the first name or the last name, but both. 

Is there a way for me to do what I need to do?

Thank you.

22 REPLIES 22

Does anyone have a screenshot or step by step with this flow creation? I am not able to figure this out.

FacundoGorla
Helper V
Helper V

In case anyone else still care I tried another way without using any premium feature since I have Microsoft 365 business premium but it doesn't work for power automate.

I created another column with calculation to concatenate name and last name.

Then I created a business rule to set the value of "Name" (Manager Name for you) to the new column I added that is calculation column.

THIS DOESN'T WORK. It leave the name field in blank, you can't use a calculation column in a buisness rule ti seems.

I haven't tried this exactly (as I want a date field in my name column, and the Calculation field can't concatenate single-line-text and date-fields), but I have come across this issue in different contexts. The reason is that the business rules only operate on fields that are in the form. Try adding your calculated field to the form you use to create/update the record, and hide it.

(The context I had where I tried something similar was for showing/hiding/locking fields between creating and updating. So I added a context on Created On: Has Data. This had no effect, until I added the Created On field to the form. The business rule started working, even when I hid the Created On field.)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Power Apps Ideas

Changes to Ideas Coming

We are excited to announce a new way to share your ideas for Power Apps!

Users online (3,905)