Helper I

Auto populate the Primary Name column with the combination of two other columns

Hello,

I have a simple lookup table with four columns - Project Manager

1) Manager Name (Primary name)

2) First Name

3) Last Name

3) Supervisor

What I'd like to do is set the Manager Name to be equal to the First Name + the Last Name so that we do not need to manually type it.

I tried the Business Rule way but I found it only allows me to set the Manager Name to just one column, either the first name or the last name, but both. 

Is there a way for me to do what I need to do?

Thank you.

22 REPLIES 22
EricRegnier
Super User
Super User

Hi @JohnYu500, have you tried real-time classic workflows like @HSheild suggested? it's probably the easiest out of the box way... 

JohnYu500
Helper I
Helper I

No problem, @SeanHenderson . Since real time workflow is a premium feature which I do not have and do not want to use, I will do it from the app UI. 

Thank you.

@EricRegnier , Yes I did and it worked as expected.

But as I said real-time workflow is a premium which we do not have currently. So I cannot use it.

Thank you.

John

EricRegnier
Super User
Super User

Real-time workflow does not require premium licenses, it comes with the standard Dataverse platform. Are you using Dataverse for Teams?

@EricRegnier ,

I am a bit confused all the licensing plans. But according to what I read, any time a standard table involves real time workflow, it becomes "complex" which become a premium feature. It would be great if you could point me to the literature that says real-time workflow is not a premium feature.

We are using the standard Dataverse. I am not even using Power App in Teams.

Thank you.

John

@JohnYu500 

Have you tried making a real-time workflow? You should be able to with a Power Apps license. I would say give it a shot and let us know if you get an error.

@SeanHenderson ,

I was able to create a real-time workflow to meet my need. I have deactivated it since I believe I won't be able to use it without a premium license.

Is there a way to find out which features that are used by a Power Apps app are premium features? I know some features my app uses are premium because once in a while I was alerted that my trial premium license has expired because of the premium features my app is using and I had to extend my trial license.

John

Hi @JohnYu500,

Where did you read this? I've gone through the licensing guide and there's no mention of that. I'm 100% confident it is included as part of the standard platform, as @HSheild also confirmed.

The licensing guide can be found at: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/pricing-billing-skus

Hope this helps!

JohnYu500
Helper I
Helper I

@EricRegnier ,

I just check this web page: Complex tables requiring Power Apps licenses - Power Apps | Microsoft Do...

Please see below:

2021-01-06 16_05_10-Complex tables requiring Power Apps licenses - Power Apps _ Microsoft Docs and 9.png

I will check out the licensing guide. Thanks for sharing it.

Power Apps Plan 1 and Plan 2 license types are old/previous licensing model and have been replaced with "Power Apps per app" and "Power Apps per user" plans which is not affected by "complex" tables/entities.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (1,663)