cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper V
Helper V

Autonumber in Common Data Service Primary Field/Forms

If I convert the Primary Field of a Custom Entity to 'Autonumber', would I not expect that to be auto-populated when i created a new record?

See 2 x screenprints below - i would expect a new form to increment the next number??

1.PNG2.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Helper II
Helper II

hey dude,

The new form doesn't set the number when you load the page, but actually when you save the record. CDS handles the leg-work of ensuring that numbers don't overlap.

Also, if you use the name field as an autonumber, you will need to mark it as optional as opposed to required. CDS will populate it after you hit the save button. 

I've attached a couple of screenshots to help

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Helper II
Helper II

hey dude,

The new form doesn't set the number when you load the page, but actually when you save the record. CDS handles the leg-work of ensuring that numbers don't overlap.

Also, if you use the name field as an autonumber, you will need to mark it as optional as opposed to required. CDS will populate it after you hit the save button. 

I've attached a couple of screenshots to help

View solution in original post

Also, if you don't want the users to overwrite the autonumber, make sure the optional field is not displayed in your form.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Users online (27,448)