cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
halifaxious
Resolver II
Resolver II

BPF or custom Activity or ... ?

I'm working in Power Apps on a model-driven solution.

This is my use case:

• user decides to log an opportunity (custom Opportunity table)
  • in addition to entering some data, the user must accomplish some tasks
  • those tasks can include
    • conversations with people in specific roles
    • completing a questionaire (a canvas app that saves to a custom table called PRA)
  • Opportunity table has custom status reasons: draft, submitted, under review, approved, shelved, rejected, archived
  • business rules check for complete data and complete tasks to set the status reason
  • client wants a stage graphic similar to what a BPF offers BUT
    • data should NOT be entered in the timeline
    • checklist of tasks should show up in the timeline
  • when status reason changes to submitted the Opportunity record is locked and an 'Assess' task is created for the assessor (a different user)
  • assessor can approve, shelve or reject the Opportunity
  • depending on assessor's decision, Opportunity is permanently locked (approved) or returned to the submitter to re-submit or to archive

My problem:

I want to create a list of tasks that can only be associated with my custom Opportunity records. Tasks would include things like:

• talk to business advisor
  • confirm final version of abstract text (abstract is a long text field of Opportunity)
  • assess Opportunity (I'd use a standard Approval except that it only allows approve/reject options)

I considered an Opportunity Checklist table that had a flag field for each task and business rules to ensure that process order was enforced. But that means that I don't get the nice OOB timeline functionality that custom Activities provide.

I also considered custom Activities. But I'm not sure how to put that in a BPF. Does the BPF go on the Activity instead of the Opportunity? Do I need multiple custom activity tables or just one with the activity type choices limited to my desired task types? I've read the docs on activities half a dozen times now and I'm still confused. 😕

Any thoughts on how I can build a staged checklist for my Opportunity?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

@halifaxious 

I will suggest that you create a new custom activity or use the existing Task entity and when an an opportunity is created then you can have a flow that creates these task in specific and set the regarding to the Opportunity that way they can appear in the timeline .. 

If you want your checklist of tasks to be dynamics so you can create a new table called checklist opportunity tasks 

1. when a new opportunity is created ->Trigger a flow-> Get Rows from the checklist opportunity tasks and create a task for each record in the checklist that way you checklist can be easily extended
  2. If you used task or custom activity you can add your flag to it
  3. Then the worst part is that on a specific BPF change you need to trigger some validation in a synchronous mode (Plugin) to validate that all tasks related to the activity has been flagged and if not the next stage won't save unless all tasks has been flagged

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Blog: here

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

@halifaxious 

I will suggest that you create a new custom activity or use the existing Task entity and when an an opportunity is created then you can have a flow that creates these task in specific and set the regarding to the Opportunity that way they can appear in the timeline .. 

If you want your checklist of tasks to be dynamics so you can create a new table called checklist opportunity tasks 

1. when a new opportunity is created ->Trigger a flow-> Get Rows from the checklist opportunity tasks and create a task for each record in the checklist that way you checklist can be easily extended
  2. If you used task or custom activity you can add your flag to it
  3. Then the worst part is that on a specific BPF change you need to trigger some validation in a synchronous mode (Plugin) to validate that all tasks related to the activity has been flagged and if not the next stage won't save unless all tasks has been flagged

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Blog: here

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (1,661)