cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZachS15
Advocate I
Advocate I

BUG - Solutions: Environment Variables Data Connection in Power App cause licensing issue when publishing to other environments

I have a simple solution within my Dev environment. It includes a canvas Power App and SQL connection reference. The app allows users to edit a simple SQL table in the Azure SQL db. When I export and import this into by Test environment everything works as expected. This app has a premium license, and the account I'm using is properly licensed as well.

However, when I go back to Dev and edit the app to include a data connection to the Environment Variables and Environment Variable Definitions. And then use that connection in a formula to display a simple string variable's value.

ZachS15_0-1622207263819.png

LookUp(
    'Environment Variable Values',
    'Environment Variable Definition'.'Display Name' = "Environment Name"
).Value

Then publish > export > import into the Test environment. I get this screen saying "This app uses features that come with a Power Apps premium plan. Start a trial to use these features."

Screenshot 2021-05-28 090556.jpg

This is the only change I made to the app. When I go back to Dev and remove the connection, then re-import, everything works again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

That's because the Default environment is a special one where the installed shouldn't be used for Production purposes. It is not recommended to provision a Dataverse there. See tip #1 from: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Community-Blog/Top-15-best-practices-when-configuring...
If you didn't install Dataverse manually then sometimes it gets automatically installed behind the scenes to support other Power Platform functionalities like Power Automate approval flows. Without the proper Power Apps per app / per user licenses you shouldn't configure it further even though the system does not prevent you. You are actually non-complaint...
Hope this clarifies 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
EricRegnier
Super User
Super User

Hi @ZachS15,

The error you are seeing is normal. This is because Environment Variables features are leveraging Dataverse to managed, store and promote. To be able to use Environment Variables and/or Dataverse you would require a Power Apps per User/App license (or Dynamics 365). Standard E3 and E5 licenses do grant access to Power Apps and SQL Server connector but not Dataverse unfortunately.

More on licensing: https://docs.microsoft.com/power-platform/admin/pricing-billing-skus 

Hope this helps!

nitika
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ZachS15 

what is the license the user who is importing the app has?

Hi @EricRegnier one thing I forgot to mention is this same app with Dataverse works fine in my Default environment. If it was a licensing issue, why would it be different between the environments?

Hi @nitika it's a per user plan. This is a service account for one of my clients. I build many premium apps, mostly with SQL connections right now. One thing I didn't mention is this same app with Dataverse works fine in the Default environment. Any idea why would it be different between the environments?

That's because the Default environment is a special one where the installed shouldn't be used for Production purposes. It is not recommended to provision a Dataverse there. See tip #1 from: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Community-Blog/Top-15-best-practices-when-configuring...
If you didn't install Dataverse manually then sometimes it gets automatically installed behind the scenes to support other Power Platform functionalities like Power Automate approval flows. Without the proper Power Apps per app / per user licenses you shouldn't configure it further even though the system does not prevent you. You are actually non-complaint...
Hope this clarifies 🙂

View solution in original post

Hey @EricRegnier this is making sense now. So to make the Dataverse work in Power Apps within the Dev, Test, and Prod environments, you're saying Dataverse needs to be installed (which I think it is because the Flows using environment variables work). Then ensure the proper licenses are applied?

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,469)