cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cooper01
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Best practice for storing address using BingMaps?

I would like to use the BingMaps connector so users can resolve an address rather than type it in themselves in a canvas app. Selected address would then be stored in a Dataverse table.

I am seeing that the GetLocation response does not include a city but does include a full address.

Does anyone have any thoughts on if it would be better to just store the entire address (address.formattedAddress) in a single column or attempt to parse the city from the full address to store address, city, country, and zip in separate columns? Seems I can return the address and the country so I would need to get the city and state.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dpoggemann
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Cooper01,

From a data model perspective, I would suggest to store each field independently in the Dataverse and not as a single field.  You will be able to do much better with sorting, filtering, charts, etc. with these fields independent.  

You might want to look at the following https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/geospatial-component-input-address to help with your situation.

Hope this helps.  Please mark accepted if answers your question or Like if it helped in some way.

Thanks,

Drew

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dpoggemann
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Cooper01,

From a data model perspective, I would suggest to store each field independently in the Dataverse and not as a single field.  You will be able to do much better with sorting, filtering, charts, etc. with these fields independent.  

You might want to look at the following https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/geospatial-component-input-address to help with your situation.

Hope this helps.  Please mark accepted if answers your question or Like if it helped in some way.

Thanks,

Drew

View solution in original post

Cooper01
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Thank you @dpoggemann, the input address component is exactly what I need.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (52,683)