cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cepjc
Advocate II
Advocate II

CDS + Model-Driven App | Search across entities (tables) with many-to-many relationships (N:N)

I am working on a model-driven app with a CDS database.

Scenario A

I have created two many-to-many relationship:

1. Accounts <-> custom table (entity): Keywords
  2. Contacts <-> the same custom table (entity): Keywords

I would expect that when I search for a Keyword, I should get all Accounts and Contacts 'tagged' with this Keyword. BUT that is not the case... Note that I have:

• enabled Relevance Search within Advanced Settings>Administration>System Settings
  • added those entities both to the search context  of 'Categorized Search' and 'Relevance Search'
  • even tried 'Use new search experience' via  Environments>...>Settings>Features

1. Could anyone please share some wisdom -or- point me in the right direction?

2. Is it possible to get access to the relationship entities created automatically by PowerApps when you create a many-to-many relationship?

*Scenario B

When I create a manual many-to-many relationship via a custom join table (entity), and search for the keyword, I do get some hits from the relationship table (entity)...

Thanks in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
EricRegnier
Super User
Super User

Hi @cepjc,

Great questions, for your 1st question, unfortunately I don't believe this is supported out of the box. The workaround is to navigate to the Accounts/Contacts from the keyword entity. So when the user searches for a keyword, the keyword record is found. The user opens the record's form and from there if you have a sub-grid or from the "Related" tab, the user can access the Accounts/Contacts.

Feel free to submit that idea though at: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

For you 2nd question, as of now it cannot be access both via the Web API/SDK nor via the Power Apps/Automate CDS connectors. Operations are handled via the associate/dissociate or relate/unrelate

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

@EricRegnier many thanks for your reply. Although it seems there is not solution for now, you pointed us in the right direction. 👍

2 REPLIES 2
EricRegnier
Super User
Super User

Hi @cepjc,

Great questions, for your 1st question, unfortunately I don't believe this is supported out of the box. The workaround is to navigate to the Accounts/Contacts from the keyword entity. So when the user searches for a keyword, the keyword record is found. The user opens the record's form and from there if you have a sub-grid or from the "Related" tab, the user can access the Accounts/Contacts.

Feel free to submit that idea though at: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

For you 2nd question, as of now it cannot be access both via the Web API/SDK nor via the Power Apps/Automate CDS connectors. Operations are handled via the associate/dissociate or relate/unrelate

Hope this helps!

@EricRegnier many thanks for your reply. Although it seems there is not solution for now, you pointed us in the right direction. 👍

Helpful resources

Announcements
User Group Leader Meeting January 768x460.png

Calling all User Group Leaders!

Don't miss the User Group Leader meetings on January, 24th & 25th, 2022.

Power Apps Community Call Jan. 2022 768x460.png

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, January 19th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Users online (2,544)