Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AmirBakht
Helper IV
Helper IV

CDS Users or AD?

Hi,

So in my PowerApps Canvas app, I am looking to pick up the picture of a user (not the current user, other users through search). I know it can be both picked up from the Users table of Dynamics or the ones in the AD. What is common practice with Dynamics environments? Are they stored in the Users table or the AD? I'd like to generalize so that I can use the approach with different clients. Querying the Users table is faster for me because I am already retrieving some data from there. However, I'm not sure if all organizations have pictures configured for their users in this table.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HSheild
Super User
Super User

Hi @AmirBakht 

In my experience, most Dynamics 365 user profiles or Power Apps user profiles will not have a picture associated with it.  It is a lot more common for the user's Office 365 (is this what you mean by AD?) profile to have a picture. Therefore, if I was you I would use the Office365Users.UserPhoto function in your Canvas app.

You can read more about that here and here.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HSheild
Super User
Super User

Hi @AmirBakht 

In my experience, most Dynamics 365 user profiles or Power Apps user profiles will not have a picture associated with it.  It is a lot more common for the user's Office 365 (is this what you mean by AD?) profile to have a picture. Therefore, if I was you I would use the Office365Users.UserPhoto function in your Canvas app.

You can read more about that here and here.

View solution in original post

Hi @HSheild Yes that's what I meant. Thanks, that's what I thought as well but was wondering about organizations solely working around Dynamics 365.

EricRegnier
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @AmirBakht,

Agree with @HSheild, D365/CDS users' profile pictures are not synced with AD/O365 out-of-the-box like some of the other info. If you want to retrieve them from D365 users then you'll need to built another process to sync the pictures, but then you might as well retrieve them directly from O365 to reduce the moving parts.

Hope this clarifies...

Thanks @EricRegnier 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (47,461)