cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper I
Helper I

CDS connector licensing implications

I have an Powerapp in my Organization's Default Environment, this is the environment where 365 users land. 

The app gets, updates, creates, deletes CDS entity Data. 

Looking under 'Connections' in the app information screen I see the message 'There are no connections used in this app.'
At the same time.. The License designation is set to 'Premium' which implies that some premium activity is going on. 
Also, in my powerapp edit screen I see the CDS connections to entities in the current environment. 

1. This confuses me: am I using a CDS connector or not? 

2. If so is it the Standard or Premium connector?

3. Then, will my end-users require a Premium license (per app/per user) or should sharing the app with the proper security roles with e.g. 365 business basic users suffice? 

Would really appreciate some help here as I have been doing research which only seems to confuse me more :).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @lgpower ,

Please distinguish between PowerApps Standalone Plan and Common Data Service Plan within Microsoft 365 license.

The former can have full access to CDS, while the latter only allows to store and manage customer data related to the Microsoft 365 application that's using Common Data Service, if this capability is turned off, any Office application reading data from Common Data Service will fail to load for the user.

If you're using a CDS entity in your App data source, you and your users will need a standalone plan.

Sik

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lgpower ,

Yes, CDS is a Premium feature. 

All users that are shared with the app need a standalone license (per app/per user) to have access to the CDS Data.

For more reference: Licensing overview for Microsoft Power Platform 

Sik

Hi @v-siky-msft 

Thanks for you reply. 

What about the standard CDS connector? Along the documentation you sent that should be usable by some 365 accounts right?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/commondataserviceforapps/ 

Hi @lgpower ,

Please distinguish between PowerApps Standalone Plan and Common Data Service Plan within Microsoft 365 license.

The former can have full access to CDS, while the latter only allows to store and manage customer data related to the Microsoft 365 application that's using Common Data Service, if this capability is turned off, any Office application reading data from Common Data Service will fail to load for the user.

If you're using a CDS entity in your App data source, you and your users will need a standalone plan.

Sik

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call- January

Mark your calendars and join us for the next Power Apps Community Call on January 20th, 8a PST

PP Bootcamp Carousel

Global Power Platform Bootcamp

Dive into the Power Platform stack with hands-on sessions and labs, virtually delivered to you by experts and community leaders.

secondImage

Power Platform Community Conference On Demand

Watch Nick Doelman's session from the 2020 Power Platform Community Conference on demand!

Users online (6,627)