cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dave-jorgensen
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Can't use Team name in calculated field

I have a custom table in dataverse. In that table I added a lookup column to the Team table.

what I want to have is a calculated column for the team name. When adding the calculated column, the intellisense only shows a couple of the columns from the Team table as options, none of them the Team Name. Any idea why Team Name is being prevented from being used in calculated columns?  

4 REPLIES 4
rampprakash
Super User
Super User

Hello @dave-jorgensen,

Could you please elaborate the issue, with snapshot it will help us to help you

Please mark as Answer if it is helpful and provide Kudos

Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnGNN3hdlKBOr6PXotskNLA
Blog : https://microsoftcrmtechie.blogspot.com

dave-jorgensen
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Sure I can provide pics if that helps you understand the issue, but the steps are pretty easy. The Team table is the OOTB dataverse table containing information on the teams in the environment.

1. add a lookup in a custom table to the Team table
  2. Add a text calculated column in that custom table
  3. try to set the value in that calculated column to the Team Name.
  4. observe options in intellisense

the team name should be available (it's the Primary Name Column of the Team table after all) but the only columns from the team table that show up as an option are createdon, emailaddress,exchangerate, modifiedon, and yominame

Lookup_Team_Name.png

v-jefferni
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dave-jorgensen ,

It seems like by design since I have tested with several other tables but only Team.'Team Name' cannot be found. Please try and use Power Automate to update the record:

vjefferni_0-1643179169405.png

vjefferni_1-1643179234634.png

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

dave-jorgensen
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

thanks - it's a good effort, BUT

1. It's not a solution to the issue, which is using various Teams fields in calculated fields - and what you propose is using a flow INSTEAD of using calculated fields, and I want to use Teams lookup in calculated fields.
  2. Since a calculated field is instant and a flow isn't, the following demonstrates why this isn't a viable solution:
    1. Add a record to the table (that record contains a lookup to the team
    2. read that record
    3. since flow hasn't run, team name will be blank
    4. wait a few more seconds
    5. Now read record, and team name will exist

Having race conditions are notoriously a pain in the butt for people to troubleshoot. Imagine a developer coming after me and trying to figure out why sometimes it's blank and sometimes it isn't, if they don't have the history.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (3,339)