cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can you combine contact timelines in parent account timeline?

Hi everyone - I have a custom PowerApp using default Account and Contact entities.

My sales team wants Contact timeline posts to appear in the top level Account.

Is this possible? Can't find any info or config on it?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

@EricRegnier I've just checked and in (an old) D365:-

Contact record - activities are shown for the account when it's set in the contacts account field

Account record - activities for the primary contact are shown on the account form.

But as you say and I've just double checked the "cross over" information isn't shown in a none D365 power apps.

Now my go to check for anything that is different between worlds which my be a settings flag is Sean McNellis's OrgDbOrgSettings powertool and looking at the history there is an April 2019 flag called 

• EnableActivitiesTimeLinePerfImprovement so I wonder if that is the difference.

Edit - just tested on a more recent environment and it's consistent - D365 carries activity details between primary contact and account, PowerApps doesn't

---
If this post has answered your question please consider it for "Accept as Solution" or if it has been helpful give it a "Thumbs Up".

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Yeah interested. I’ll check with the product team and see what they say.

It would be great that the timeline gives us the option to rollup child activities or not, instead of having these 2 behaviours in D365 and CDS.

Cheers

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Sadly not - the timeline only shows activity records that are directly related to the record being viewed.

---
If this post has answered your question please consider it for "Accept as Solution" or if it has been helpful give it a "Thumbs Up".
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

In Dynamics 365 that behaviour is out-of-the-box if the parentaccountid field is set on the Contact... Here's an example below. What's strange is I've tested in a vanilla CDS environment and it doesn't work! Not sure if this behaviour changed and/or if it's only available in D365. @ben-thompson maybe you have some insights?

contact.pngaccount.png

Highlighted

@EricRegnier I've just checked and in (an old) D365:-

Contact record - activities are shown for the account when it's set in the contacts account field

Account record - activities for the primary contact are shown on the account form.

But as you say and I've just double checked the "cross over" information isn't shown in a none D365 power apps.

Now my go to check for anything that is different between worlds which my be a settings flag is Sean McNellis's OrgDbOrgSettings powertool and looking at the history there is an April 2019 flag called 

• EnableActivitiesTimeLinePerfImprovement so I wonder if that is the difference.

Edit - just tested on a more recent environment and it's consistent - D365 carries activity details between primary contact and account, PowerApps doesn't

---

Highlighted

Tried changing the EnableActivitiesTimeLinePerfImprovement setting in my D365 and CDS environment and confirm there's was no effect on rolling up the activities... Do you know what that sets?

Highlighted

@EricRegnier  I believe it is layout changes within the timeline control.

I still can't work out how the timeline is actually populated though - but it's not directly from a view as the activitypointer system views are identical across both D365 and none D365 environments.

So how it works is an interesting question as I know of D365 customers who would really prefer the non-D365 version to separate out personal business from corporate business details.

---
Highlighted

Yeah interested. I’ll check with the product team and see what they say.

It would be great that the timeline gives us the option to rollup child activities or not, instead of having these 2 behaviours in D365 and CDS.

Cheers

Highlighted

Thanks - hoping this can be dropped into the next release wave...

Highlighted

So the product team confirmed this is a bug in CDS and should be the same behaviour as in D365. They will be fixing it, but as expected they don't have a specific ETA.

Highlighted

Can I ask who you were talking to there as there is a niche (banking in particular) where the powerapps version would be prefered and it would be great if both options were available via a switch

---

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Users online (11,238)