cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris1969
Helper II
Helper II

Cannot Delete an Empty Table: "There are dependencies on this table that are preventing it from being deleted."

I am trying to delete an empty custom table (i.e., the table's Data tab doesn't show any records), but Dataverse responds with an error message, "There are dependencies on this table that are preventing it from being deleted."

I found this post (Delete an entity: There are dependencies on this entity that are preventing it from being deleted.) but it seems to address deleting solutions, whereas I need to delete a table.

How can I delete an empty, custom table? Or, how can I find the dependencies to delete them so I can in turn delete the table itself?

Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisPiasecki
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @Chris1969,

The post you referred to applies to your situation, as you are trying to delete a component (e.g. Table, view, dashboard, etc.). 

In the maker portal, navigate to Solutions, then select the default solution (this contains all customizations in the Dataverse environment). Select your table, and in the top menu click the 3 ellipses to find the Show Dependencies option. From there you can determine what dependencies to address before you can delete the table.

Note that whether the table has data or not in it doesn't have influence on the ability to delete it (it will only warn you that deleting a component can result in data loss). 

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisPiasecki
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @Chris1969,

The post you referred to applies to your situation, as you are trying to delete a component (e.g. Table, view, dashboard, etc.). 

In the maker portal, navigate to Solutions, then select the default solution (this contains all customizations in the Dataverse environment). Select your table, and in the top menu click the 3 ellipses to find the Show Dependencies option. From there you can determine what dependencies to address before you can delete the table.

Note that whether the table has data or not in it doesn't have influence on the ability to delete it (it will only warn you that deleting a component can result in data loss). 

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

Chris1969
Helper II
Helper II

Extremely helpful, thank you.

This explanation brings up three things which I didn't think are clearly (or at all) set forth in the online documentation:

1. The default solution contains all customizations in the Dataverse environment, so it's an easy place to go to for this type of research 
  2. The "Show Dependencies" option under Solutions can show the dependencies of individual components in the solution and not just for the overall solution itself
  3. The mere existence of data in a table doesn't constitute a "dependency" which would prevent a table from being deleted

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Users online (2,071)