cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris1969
Helper II
Helper II

Category Table Missing from Dataverse ?

The online documentation article Use the Category entity covers a Category table which could presumably be very useful for tagging / labeling records with user-defined labels (e.g., Red, Green, Blue .... Happy, Neutral, Sad ....).

However, as shown by the attached screen shot, such a table does not appear in the unfiltered, full list of tables in Dataverse.

Could someone please help me understand where to find the Category table ?

Category Table Missing.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisPiasecki
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @Chris1969,

Sorry about that. Here's the navigation steps:

• From the Power Apps Maker portal, select your environment
  • Select the gear icon top right > Advanced Settings. This opens up a new tab to the legacy Dynamics 365 UI. 
  • In the top navigation bar, click the down arrow next to Settings. Under System, select Administration.
  • On the Administration page, click System Settings. This pops up a dialog.
  • Under the General tab, scroll down until you see a Set up Search section. Finally, Select Entities for Categorized Search.

ChrisPiasecki_0-1617576142433.png

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisPiasecki
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @Chris1969,

Not all Tables will be displayable in the PowerApps maker UI, I believe Category is one of those special ones. It's used for Categorized Search (also called multi-table Quick Find) . You configure the categories in Settings > Administration > System Settings.

Note that you can only have either Relevance Search or Categorized search at the same time, not both. Relevance Search is the more modern powerful search mechanism, so it's recommended to use that over Categorized Search.

More details around search at the references below :

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/user/search

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/user/quick-find#multiple-table-quick-find-categorized-sea...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/configure-relevance-search-organization

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

Chris1969
Helper II
Helper II

@ChrisPiasecki,

Thank you very much. Regarding ...

"You configure the categories in Settings > Administration > System Settings"

... since many screens have a Settings option, could you please confirm from which starting point you began (I have been unable to find the System Settings).

For example, starting from the Power Platform Admin Center (Environments > [environment name] > Settings), doesn't appear correct, but I'm not sure where to look?

ChrisPiasecki
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @Chris1969,

Sorry about that. Here's the navigation steps:

• From the Power Apps Maker portal, select your environment
  • Select the gear icon top right > Advanced Settings. This opens up a new tab to the legacy Dynamics 365 UI. 
  • In the top navigation bar, click the down arrow next to Settings. Under System, select Administration.
  • On the Administration page, click System Settings. This pops up a dialog.
  • Under the General tab, scroll down until you see a Set up Search section. Finally, Select Entities for Categorized Search.

ChrisPiasecki_0-1617576142433.png

---

Chris1969
Helper II
Helper II

@ChrisPiasecki, that's perfect & very clear, thank you very much !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Users online (1,896)